Skipping Bike Chain

Old 02-23-09, 12:04 PM
Skipping Bike Chain

I have a 21 spd (3 x 7) road bike that has a skipping cahin. Chain and freewheel have been replace, no tight lights , no bent derailer. Chain ring in good condition. I'm perplexed.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-09, 01:28 PM
Did it start skipping immediately after the new chain and freewheel or just sooner than you would expect?

Bud

Old 02-24-09, 04:39 AM
It started to skip after installation. I installed the new chain/freewheel because the old chain/freewheel skipped. I'm suspecting that my rear derailer may be the culprit. It does not fully return to full upright position when extended down hence I'm not getting optimum chain/freewheel cog contact. I tend to repalce chain/freewheel combo yearly since I do a lot of riding on stone dust pack trails.
thanks

Old 02-24-09, 05:21 AM
If it started immediately you are on the right track. Years ago when I owner my bike shop I looked for a way to identify worn chains to be able to replace them before they damaged the front chain ring. Since your chain is 1/2" links, measure 12 inches of chain and center to center of the pins should fall right on a 1/2" mark. For general riding, +1/8" was time to replace it. For the avid cyclists with expensive chain rings, 1/32" to 1/16" max. If you start checking yours, you will develop a range for your own needs.

Once your front sprocket gets worn it will shorten the life of chains and clusters.

I worked mostly on recreational bikes and junk so never had a chance to fine tune the numbers for high end bikes. Let me know what number you come up with, although it's just curiosity as my bike repair days are long gone.

good luck,
Bud

Search this Thread