Looking for a special wrench or socket?

Old 03-26-11, 08:23 PM
Looking for a special wrench or socket?

I have this fastener that screws on to a 1/2" spindle on an exercise bike that holds the bearings in place for the pedal crank wheel. This fastener looks like a washer, but to install it, I need a tool that has two blades, like a blade screwdriver, at opposite sides that fit the slots on this fastener. It's round with these side way slots at the 9 and 3 o'clock position. This fastener screws on to the spindle to hold the bearings in place. Seems like iI need a long socket wrench with two blades about 35mm apart from each other to fit the slots on the fastener. I hope I have describe the tool I am looking for. Kind of like a spanner wrench, but with slotted blades rather than pins. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-11, 12:39 AM
Hi gilloz, been awhile but I'll try. Two types of bottom brackets, one piece (common on exercise bicycles) and three piece crank sets (possible but not common). I'm assuming this is the bottom bracket and not the pedal itself.

Usually the adjustable cone is held in place by a locking nut (one piece) or a ring (three piece). Once the lock is removed the cone should turn easily, left hand thread if I remember. I'll add a couple of links below from Park tools to help with the description. One caution once you get it apart and are putting it back together, as the locking nut/ring are tightened against the cone, the bearings will get tighter. So leave them a touch lose so that the last push on the locking nut/ring just takes out the excess play. They may cover that in these links, but it is important not to over tighten.
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » One-Piece Bottom Bracket Service

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Adjustable Type Bottom Bracket Service

Let me know if I'm getting close.
Bud

Old 03-27-11, 07:25 AM
Hi Bud: Looks like you hit the nail on the head. That tool shown on your first link with Yellow handles looks exactly like the tool I need. What is this tool called and where can I get it? I appreciate this information because you're the first person in my search on the Internet that came up with what looks to be the exact tool I need. Any more information will truly be appreciated. thanks

Old 03-27-11, 07:44 AM
The yellow handle is the Park SPA-4 and here is a link that shows the tip, just to be sure.

BikePro.com /Buyer's Guide / Bottom Bracket Tools - Bicycle Parts at discount prices / the Buyer's Guide / Bicycle Parts at their finest! / Professional Bicycle Source / Bike Pro

Any local bike shop could order it or an online search should find one.

Bud

Old 03-27-11, 06:05 PM
Thanks again Bud. Found a bike shop here in my area and they carry Park Tools. Will go by there tomorrow and check this out. Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-29-11, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by gilloz View Post
Thanks again Bud. Found a bike shop here in my area and they carry Park Tools. Will go by there tomorrow and check this out. Thanks again for your help.
Added: That Yellow handle tool is no longer available from Park Tools. I contacted them the other day, by email, and they responded this morning. I guess I will have to install this fastener the same way I removed it.

Old 03-29-11, 10:50 AM
It is one of the least used tools so I'm not surprised. In most cases a pin spanner will do, as these cones should not be tight. The problem comes from them being rusted in place, so once removed all you should need is a way to hold it in place while you tighten the locking ring or nut. When they are rusted in place, a blunt punch will usually tease them out after lots of lubricant has been applied.

If you still want one, shop online as they are slow sellers and most likely there will be some around.

Bud