Carbon Bicycle vs Aluminum?

Old 09-03-11, 07:19 PM
Carbon Bicycle vs Aluminum?

Considering purchasing a Fuju SL 3.0 MD carbon frame road bike for $1400.

I presently own an aluminum frame Scott road bike, it's 4 years old, and I am pretty happy with it. However, I understand that a carbon frame absorbs more of the bumps and jarring incurred during riding when you hit bumps etc., and also understand that it's lighter.

Trying to determine if it's worth spending the money right now to upgrade or just keep using my current bike. . Your comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

p.s. I probably ride on average 30-50 miles a week during the summer and I do the MS150 ride every June.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-11, 05:16 AM
Hi Tripper, pure speculation on my part, I've been away from bikes too long and my guess is the technology has changes a lot. I've never tried a carbon frame but have read as you have that they absorb some of the road for you. A lot depends on you, where you ride and why you ride. I'm very conservative and would want to try before I buy at that level, but my suspicion is you would like it. I used to sell tanks for kids but when I got a chance to ride better bikes (not often) the difference was exciting.

Do you know anyone riding a carbon frame you could try for a day? If I had to guess, you'll like it.

Bud

Old 09-04-11, 08:39 AM
Thank you, I appreciate your comments and the suggestion to try the bike first.

Old 11-03-11, 10:41 AM
I switched from aluminum to carbon last year. The change was noticeable! The ride is smoother and absorbs small bumps better. The frame is VERY stiff without all the small transmitted vibrations like an aluminum frame. I would recommend the carbon bike. You can always upgrade components to lighten it later.

Old 11-03-11, 02:36 PM
Thanks Brad, good to have some real user input.

Bud

Search this Thread