Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Outdoor Activities > Biking and Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Found a broken Xbike from LifeGear: could I fix it myself?

Old 01-07-12, 11:18 AM

I don't know much about mechanics and I have no idea how the tension is controlled on an exercise bike. I found this bike on the curb, with the missing case and probably a missing tension cable (there is no tension at all at the moment), and I would like to fix it myself. Would this be possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-12, 11:58 AM
Hi Thrifty,
I'm not familiar with this product, but it looks like a standard resistance belt is needed around that lower wheel. Just guessing. Typically they are attached to a tension adjustment on one end and possibly that spring on the other. There were also some listings for bikes that use some form of magnetic resistance. If there is a more detailed model number on the bike, try searching for that number and assembly manual or parts manual.

The next option would be to locate a local dealer, but that is probably why someone else gave up. The needed parts are the problem, assembling them should not be difficult. Don't spend a lot as the whole unit is new about $150.

Bud

Old 01-07-12, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
I'd suggest just scrapping it (maybe at a recycler and make a few $) and checking Freecycle (.org I think) in your area. I see all sorts of exercise equipment on there every week.

Old 01-08-12, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys. I will check out Freecycle, Craigslist and local ad sites. I was just hoping that it could be easily fixed with a rubber/elastic strap from the hardware store or something.