Basket for bike

Old 04-16-12, 06:36 PM
Basket for bike

My niece (14) just got a new bike and has been riding it around a lot lately and she's been asking for a basket attachment in the front so she could ride with her chihuahua in the front. My question is to all you bikers- Do you think it's safe for the dog?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-12, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
I think if it's a basket made specifically for this purpose and if she's riding on trails or a park, the dog should be fine. I wouldn't ride on a busy street in traffic.

I did a search and there seems to be a large selection out there. A couple that caught my eye:

from Amazon.com: Dog Bike Basket - Pet Bicycle Seat (Dog Car Seat) - Gray: Pet Supplies

and this

from SPORTY dog bicycle basket bike dog carrier

CUTE!

Old 04-17-12, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
How large is your niece and is she a strong rider? Adding weight to the handlebars makes it more difficult to turn and control. A few pounds is generally no problem but if the dog likes to quickly move about she will have to be able to keep the handlebars steady.

There is an elderly lady at the coast that likes to ride with her dog in the front basket and she is not a strong rider. Every time I've seen her the dog is constantly jumping from one side to the other to bark at passing cars. Every time the dog lurches so do the handlebars and this old lady goes swerving down the road. I'm always afraid her luck will be up some day and she will inadvertently swerve into a car.

Old 04-17-12, 06:41 PM
Ahh! tough question, the balance between enjoyment, the love of pets, and safety. For the safety for the rider and the pet, I would say no to something attached to the handlebars. A good friend was seriously injured while riding with a small plastic bag in one hand while that hand was also on the handlebar. The bag started to slip and his attempt to catch it was disastrous. Now imagine trying to save a dear pet that for whatever reason needed saving. Riding a bicycle is not where you would want to be, it takes both hands.

All pets are different and my 4 mini dachshunds would do poorly, one or all. A chihuahua would be even smaller, and perhaps better behaved, but still a difficult call. Other, larger, dogs might be an issue as well.

Just my personal opinion,
Bud

Old 04-20-12, 10:33 AM
She is a strong rider. I think she would be able to handle it well. She would only be riding around a very quiet neighborhood and on a few small and easy trails in it. Not a lot of cars or people are out and about it the area. I really like those dog baskets you posted! Thank you. Those are really awesome. They are a little pricy, but I guess since they are specially made for that purpose, then it is more safe than rigging something up myself. Thanks guys, your opinions helped.