Hunter Douglas & M & B Window Fashion

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-04, 02:42 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hunter Douglas & M & B Window Fashion

Does anyone know if these companies are connected in any way?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-04, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i don't know......i'd never heard of M&B, but when i searched online for them, they appear to be a separate company from Hunter D......a certain blind company offered products from both companies. but i suppose they could be owned by Hunter D unbeknownst to the general public......why do you ask, if i may ask?

Old 01-19-04, 03:41 PM
I'm a HD retailer and I just lost a nice job to Home Depot. My customer was told that they carry M & B and that it is the same as HD. I spoke with my HD salesman earlier and found out the HD owns M & B and sell that line to the big retail stores. The product is not identical although Home Depot leads the customer to believe that it is. Unfortunately the average consumer doesn't understand that many of the products that Home Depot sells are made for "Home Depot Only".

Old 01-19-04, 03:50 PM
oh.....so is M&B a lower priced/quality version of HD? i wonder why this website i found offered both then?

Old 01-19-04, 04:07 PM
Home Depot offers both products. Price comparison for the same size and fabric....M & B - $92.00 HD - $157.00. My salesman told me that it is an inferior product compared to HD.

Old 03-15-04, 12:51 PM
AdrianM
Visiting Guest
I had a related question: Is Graber considered better quality than Hunter Douglas for 2" basswood blinds. I can't believe the range of pricing for these blinds and I'm having a hard time figuring out which is better.

Old 05-27-04, 01:46 AM
MartinDInstallr
Visiting Guest
The way that I understand this is like this. M&B (now called ALTA) gets their small parts from HD. This would be things like end caps, cord locks, cording, things like this. The rails and fabric are M&B. I'm not sure that I beleive this though. There is definately a difference in quality and price. Go with the HD whenever you can.

Graber is not better than HD overall. There are some things that Graber makes that I like very much but for the most part I don't care for them. Their continuous cord easy lift system on cell shades works very well but the fabric is another story. Graber cell fabric has a fuzziness to it where as the HD fabric seems to be very durable. The graber seems to get dirty much faster.

As far as wood blind go I thing that they are all about the same. HD is outrageous on price for their woods. The woods that I have been recommending to people as of late are the "Wood Mill" blinds. I don't know much about them except that they are inexpensive, well made, and very easy to install (the part I like the most). They are manufactured somewhere in California.

Old 07-12-04, 10:04 PM
Installer1995
Visiting Guest
Hunter Douglas & Alta / M&B

Alta / M&B is a sister company of HD. Alta / M&B was created so that HD could put products in the Big Box stores and not offend or appear to compete with the HD Dealers. If you look closely, Alta is made from the lower end products that HD sells like Applause Cellular Shades. The fabrics are either identical or discontinued stock from previous years.

Old 09-11-14, 04:48 PM
Hunter Douglas offers only a very limited palette of colors for their venetian blinds. So if you want only boring neutral colors, then HD is your place.
We are replacing some of our M&B 1-inch aluminum blinds that we bought from Windowology in 1995 to furnish our then-new home. We availed ourselves of the broad range of colors to decorate different rooms with different colors. Now, 19 years later the slat-rotation gearing of the M&Bs is binding, and we would like to 'upgrade' to Hunter Douglas aluminum blinds. However in 2014 we cannot find acceptable color options in the Hunter Douglas, in either 1-inch or 2-inch slat widths. As we like to see outside garden areas, we don't want to settle for the honeycombs designs, and shutters give me claustrophobia. We might have to go to Home Depot to find the color options we want.

Old 09-11-14, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 51 Posts
This is a 10yr old thread you're resurrecting. I don't see a question there so I'm closing this thread.
If you have any questions, please start new.

Closed Thread