Huge windows/Too much heat-help!

Old 06-01-04, 08:58 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Huge windows/Too much heat-help!

I have seven 48" x 80" along the back of our great room over looking a river (very private). Beautiful view, but way too much heat comes through when the sun is setting. I was originally going to put bamboo-type shades on the outside of each window before I realized how much heat is coming through (originally I just wanted to keep the light out in the afternoon to protect a grand piano I have). Would the bamboo do much to keep heat out? If not, what are some suggestions. Is there anything I could put on the outside that would work?It's a great view, so I would only be lowering the shades/blinds when the sun is coming down. Originally I didn't want any window coverings inside at all, but now I may need something because of the heat. (summer is here in California). Thank you. Mary

Old 06-01-04, 10:14 AM
anything would be better than nothing, but the amount of heat/light that you'll be able to block out will depend on the the opaqueness of the shade. you've got thermal draperies on the one end of the spectrum that would be the best....all the way to sheers on the other, which would do nothing for you. (room darkening vs. light filtering). i'd say that bamboo shades would be closer to the sheer end, but they might be just enough for you, depending on how they're woven - some are woven more tightly together than others. when you see some in a store, hold them up to the light and judge how see-through they are.

if you're wanting a "woodsy" looking treatment, and you decide the bamboo shades aren't solid enough, you might consider wood blinds, either 1" or 2". when tilted downward, pretty much no sun comes thru them.

Old 06-01-04, 10:33 AM
M
Annette, thanks so much for your quick response(s). When I say "outside", I mean the exterior. We have a deck off these windows (two of them are sliders). What, if anything, would be good at keeping the heat out that I could put on the exterior of these windows? I really don't want to put anything on the interior if I can help it. There is a pretty good size overhang from the roof, too. Mary

Old 06-01-04, 11:32 AM
Red face oops!

Oh! i wondered about your using the word "outside" but i decided to assume you meant "outside mount"!!! (hee hee!)

ok........to re-group........

bamboo shades OUTDOORS.......i guess you mean the kind made for the outdoors, right? i suppose they'd be sufficient to "shade" the interior. but just to be sure - and with an expensive grand piano at stake, i'd want to be EXTRA sure - i'd supplement the shades with a window film. some of the films cut the UV rays substantially, without really darkening the window much at all. do a search under "window film" to find out more.

the sun can do horrific damage to all kinds of home furnishings from carpet to fabric to wood furniture. you know what it can do to your skin - it's just as bad to your furnishings.

Old 06-01-04, 11:41 AM
M
Would the bamboo do a good job at keeping the heat out. Would there be something else better than bamboo that I could use on the exterior that would keep the heat out? Thanks so much. Mary

Old 06-01-04, 12:03 PM
i think they would provide shade, which will cut down on the heat.

i don't know of anything else, other than awnings, but you said you've got an overhang already. maybe a company like Sunbrella makes some sort of outdoor fabric roller shade?

Old 06-01-04, 12:20 PM
MartinDInstallr
Visiting Guest
Bamboo shades mounted outside will definately cut down on the heat. It's hard to say just how much but I think that it would be enough for what you are looking for. I'm not sure what else you could put outside that would hold up against the elements. This would be a good starting point for you. Buy one, install it, and give it a whirl. If it's not enough then you can add something like cellular shade later or a wood blind. I think that your options at that point would be pretty wide open. There are endless possabilities for interior treatments. Cellular shades hide really well when you don't want to see them and are probably the best thing for cutting down heat.

Like I said earlier I beleive that starting with an exterior woven shade is a good starting point that won't break the bank if it doesn't work well enough.

Martin

Old 09-12-04, 04:45 AM
Cookie53
Visiting Guest
How about solar shades?

Yesterday, I was introduced to Graber's new solar shades...Because I have a window which gets the mid-late afternoon sun (way too hot even in upstate NY, especially in the summer). The shades come in different patterns, etc., and they are similar to a roll shade, but you can see thru them, so you still see the view, but they can block up to 90% of UV rays (or so they say!)

I am going to post a new thread here, to see if anyone has them yet....

I know you wanted exterior solutions, but these shades are different....And, I would think that, over time, those exterior blinds or whatever will get damaged, etc., plus, you will get tired of going outside to pull the blinds down...Just a thought

Old 09-12-04, 08:13 AM
vclimber
Visiting Guest
You might want to look at Vista's Spectra Select 60 window film. Almost clear film, cuts heat by 58%, UV by 99.9%, Dual Pane Safe, and has a Residential Lifetime Warranty. Nice stuff, especially if you have a piano then it is a must have. Product info can be found at www.vista-films.com (this is info only not a sales ad)

Old 09-15-04, 12:43 PM
nulookpei
Visiting Guest
Try Awnings

I would suggest you try window awnings on the exterior. A typical window awning will cover the top 1/3 of your window which will eliminate any sunlight from entering your windows. This should eliminate the heat problem as well as enhance the exterior of your home.

Old 09-15-04, 02:12 PM
M
The awnings would be a great idea. I think they are very attractive. The only problem is that the windows face west/north so the sun comes in at a very sharp angle to the windows. Thus, the awnings wouldn't be as effective as they would be if the sun was coming in directly onto the windows. I might be wrong, but it's what I think would happen when I thought about it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: