Can indoor vinyl blind be weatherproofed?

Old 08-18-04, 09:03 AM
drovn
Visiting Guest
Can indoor vinyl blind be weatherproofed?

Hello,

Can an indoor vinyl blind be sprayed or conditioned with anything to give it durability to withstand outside elements? I have a 55" wide X 65" long blind that I would like to use on a porch where I need to block an annoying neighbor. This blind would fit perfectly, but I am wondering about the cords not being coated etc, to prevent fraying due to sun, rain etc.

If not, does anyone know of an inexpensive alternative?

Thanks

Old 08-18-04, 11:59 PM
vclimber
Visiting Guest
The biggest problem you will have is that the blind will get damaged from the Ultra Violet Rays. It will eventually look burnt and brown. Vinyl never holds up well unless it has been treated with UV inhibitors and even then it is still unstable. Try something made of aluminum like a Eroupean Roll Shutter.

Old 08-20-04, 05:20 AM
drovn
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the suggestions

I am going to try the blind I have since it's not going to be used indoors anymore. I saw something called 303 Aerospace which is used as a UV inhibitor and might give it a shot of that but at the same time will check out a more permanent aluminum one you mentioned.

Thanks again

Old 08-20-04, 08:40 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
There are roll-up vinyl blinds that are made for outdoor use as well as more expensive wood type. You've got nothing to lose by using what you have. If it doesn't hold up, then you can use something better later on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: