Help needed--Bedroom Windows

Old 09-05-04, 06:35 PM
dball01
Visiting Guest
Wink Help needed--Bedroom Windows

Our new home has 3 30x60 windows side by side in our master bedroom, making the window 108 inches wide and 60 inches high. I would like to have wooden "venetion" blinds, but I haven't found any that wide. Plantation shutters would be nice--if they are mounted on the outside can they be that wide? I would like to be able to see out of the whole window, or shut them totally--don't like the idea of shades that might typically be drawn down halfway or totally. Not sure shades come that wide anyway.

So, am looking for suggestions as to how I might cover those MBR windows.

Don

Old 09-06-04, 12:25 AM
vclimber
Visiting Guest
When you say 3 30x60 do you mean seperate window openings or all in a single window opening? 3x30=90 and you say 108 wide so something is not adding up. A little more info would help, but I'll try to take a stab at what you've said thus far.

If these are 3 seperate window enclosures then you are probably talking about doing an "outside mount" (OB) blind. The 2" venetian would be over the recommended measurement for a single blind. The factory will recommend doing 3 seperate blinds on a common headrail for a 108x60 if you want a warranty. I'm sure you could find someone that would build a single blind but they might not warranty it because of the size and weight.

A Plantation shutter would cover this span no problem, but before I'd recommend going this route, I'd want to know the spacing between each window opening so we can see if things can be lined up just right. If all 3 of these windows are in a single enclosure then it's a piece of cake.

Give us some more info on this one. (I wish we could post pictures here, it would make things a lot easier)

Old 09-06-04, 07:23 AM
W
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The adding up problem is that he has 3 inch molding. which works out
molding 3" window 30" 2 molding 6" window 30" 2moldings 6" window 30" molding 3" =108x60 I would do 3 individual blinds Reason for this is that you could do an inside mount. Inside mount with the proper valance return loos great. Even if I was doing shutters I wouldstill do 3 shutters Outside mounted Hard window treatments look sick

Old 09-06-04, 07:53 PM
dball01
Visiting Guest
More Info

I guess I'm getting messed up by using unfamilar (to me) builder's terminology. There are 3 windows, each 3 feet wide by 5 feet tall, mounted side by side. (Yes, a picture would be nice). I have about decided on 3 faux wood blinds with a long, custom header. This would keep the blinds inside, and would be alot less costly than going with custom plantation shutters. My cousin says we should drop a narrow sheer blind down to cover the two 'cracks', but somhow I can't envision that. Hey, thanks for your help!!

Old 09-26-04, 09:08 AM
johnkat
Visiting Guest
What Worked For You?

Hi - how did the sheers work out in solving the crack between the blind and the window casing? I have the same problem! My MBW casing is too shallow for the wood blinds/shutters to fit neatly inside and placing them on the outside is definitely not an option. So, I've been searching for a solution. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: