Sliding French Patio Door Blinds

Old 10-29-04, 05:40 PM
dtdandl
Visiting Guest
Sliding French Patio Door Blinds

Good Evening. I just finished installing a new sliding patio door (French style). Looks great. But now that I look at it, I don't want the old vertical blinds. Is there anything out there that I can install over both panels of glass separately such as micro blinds or in this case, micro micro blinds? Or something that will clear the door when it is opened? I have 1 inch clearance between the doors when open. I tried your search option but couldn't find much. It's a shame to cover up my new woodwork.

Regards and Thank You.
Dan

Old 10-31-04, 07:31 PM
AdrianLpi
Visiting Guest
Some Suggestions

By sliding french door I assume that you are refering to a door that operates like the old style sliding glass doors ( big panels of glass that slide behind eachother) but looks a french door would minus the handles.

With that out of the way a couple blinds you might consider:

Honeycomb shades (preferably single cell)
Roman Shades by Hunter Douglas (they call them Vignettes)
Sillhoutes by hunter Dougles (pretty sure i spelled sillhoutes wrong sorry)

Now for the justification (=.

Honeycomb shades are nice for sliding glass doors as they are light and when opened have a relatively small stack at the top. Bali and Graber cellular (another name for honeycomb) shades are good for the fact that they guarantee them to be washable. Their fabrics are also made by DuPont who has a reputation for stain resistant fabrics. Hunterdouglas Honeycomb shades are a good buy as well as you can get a control option that to my knowledge is only offered by Hunter. This control option allows you to pull on the cord to raise the blind a bit then let the cord will retract back into the blind when you let it go and you can pull on it again to get the blind the rest of the way up. Right now I can not remember the name of this option but it is nice as you do not get the cords pooling on the ground when your blind is fully raised. The downside to Hunter Douglas is that they don't have color coordinating headrails like Bali and Graber.

Sillhoutes and Vignettes are very nice because Hunter Douglas has attached them to a metal roller inside the headrail so when you roll them all the way up they are hidden behind a color coordinated dust cover. I don't think any other vendor does this. Also due to fact that the blind is rolled up instead of folding up like a traditional Roman Shade it results in no stack beneath the headrail which gives a much cleaner look when the blinds are raised. The downside to this rolling operation is that you are unable to get a 2on1 headrail as you can with other vendors and the flat style of Roman shade is unavailable through Hunter Douglas.

The other obvious downside with going with Hunter Douglas is that the shades can get a little pricey.

Hope this has helped you.

Adrian Lemanek
"Everybody loves pi"

Old 11-01-04, 04:23 PM
dtdandl
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, Adrian. I appreciate you taking the time to explain all of it to me. I think my problem is the thickness or width of the headrail. I have one inch of clearance between doors (yes, these are the sliding "French" doors). All of the headrails seem to be about 1 1/2 inch approx. I was wondering if there is anything out there at less than 1 inch hence my micro, micro blind comment.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
dan

Old 11-02-04, 02:08 AM
AdrianLpi
Visiting Guest
hmm

Well with most sliding doors outside mount is required. Meaning that the blinds would be mounted on the wall above the doors. This kind of mounting is pretty standard with sliding doors. Remember too that you will want about a 1/4 inch clearance around the blind from anything that moves. If you achieve this clearance than you will ensure that the blind will not be caught on anything. If you include that clearance I don't think you will be able to mount inside the frame of the door with anything except 1/2" mini blinds (micros).

Adrian Lemanek
"Everybody Loves Pi"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: