Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Decorating, Design, Painting, Upholstery and Fabrics Center > Blinds, Shades and Shutters
Reload this Page >

window treatment solutions needed for double hung windows w/ narrow jambs

window treatment solutions needed for double hung windows w/ narrow jambs

Old 12-14-04, 07:34 AM
lizzie
Visiting Guest
Exclamation window treatment solutions needed for double hung windows w/ narrow jambs

undefined

My husband are in the final stages of building our house. I finally began to think about window treatments and as I was looking at them recently, it occurred to me that I probably won't be able to do any inside mount treatments. We have Andersen 400 series double-hung windows and there is really no other space available to hang blinds or shutters inside. Don't know if we goofed somewhere along the way by not allowing for this or what, but too late now, we have to make lemonade out of lemons I'm looking for any suggestions or websites to refer to for design ideas.

Old 12-14-04, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
will your windows be framed out with moldings and wood all around? or just sheetrocked around? you can get a little more depth if they'll be framed up, because of the thickness of the outer molding.

but if not, just do outside mounts for any blinds or shades, and then on the overdraperies (or valances) you'll just need to make sure the projection on those rods clears the blinds/shades.

all the same treatments & options will be available to you. don't worry.

Old 12-14-04, 10:35 AM
lizzie
Visiting Guest
yes, the windows are all framed. The carpenter is done with his job now. The casing that he put up is not very thick so that really doesn't give much depth to work with there.

Old 12-14-04, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i see.

well, a micro-miniblind isn't very deep at all, and they might fit inside your frames. depending on how little depth we're talking about here (?), several inside-mount blinds might work, although they might protrude out from the frame a bit - the top & sides of which could be hidden with a valance and side panels. but for that matter, you might as well just do outside mounts. you'll be better able to buy "standard" sizes that might be available off-the-shelf and avoid the higher prices of custom-made.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: