Blinds vs. Drapes for Sun Room

Old 12-23-04, 07:55 AM
tom07
Visiting Guest
Blinds vs. Drapes for Sun Room

Our house has a sun room about 8' x 10', at ground level.

One 10' side of the room is entirely occupied by a 3-panel, 9' sliding door (two fixed panels, center one opens), and the adjacent 8' wall has two tall casement windows and a door (wood frame but mostly glass) which together take up most of the wall.

We would like to do something to cover all that glass -- for both insulation and a sense of privacy (though it looks out on a fenced back yard so actual privacy is not a serious problem).

My wife wants drapes and likes the tabbed style that slide on a large diameter rod. I like them too but I can't see how they'll work on the sliding door side as with 9' of door on a 10' wall there is no room at all for the stackback. From what I've read stackback should be figured at 1/3 of the full width so we'd lose 3' of window with that approach, plus the stackback of drapes on the the casement windows would interfere with those on the sliding doors.

We are also imagining cellular shades, roman-style fabric shades,and other options. I know vertical blinds are a common solution for something like this but my wife doesn't like them, and I'm not sure how they could be coordinated with whatever goes on the casement windows and the door, which likely should be horizontal.

Any thoughts as to what the viable options are in a situation like this? Any way to do drapes without so much space for the stackback?

One other specific qustion -- if doing horizontal shades or blinds of some kind over the sliding door, is it feasible to do the entire 9' width or is it necessary or recommended to do it in 3 sections of 3' each?

Thanks,

Old 12-23-04, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wow! now that's a question!!!

if stackback is 1/3, that's 3', but that's divided in 2, so you'd only have 1.5' of stackback on each side, and you've got 6" of wall on each side, so you'd only have 12" of stackback that would hang over the window, which would be ideal for "softening".

i do not recomment Tab Top draperies as Moveable draperies. they don't slide easily across the wood poles, and you will forever be fixing & messing with the spacing of the tabs so they'll look nice. instead, i'd recommend a simple panel (plain top or rod pocket that you won't use) hung from metal rings with clips. they slide easily across metal rods.

as far as your last question, every blind/shade has maximum & minimum limits on length & width. i'm pretty sure (not having a product spec book in front of me) that one 9-foot wide horizontal blind, that's 7 or 8 feet tall, would be too heavy to be able to raise & lower. and probably too wide to even be possible to have made (easily verified at a store that sells blinds). that said, i think if you go with some sort of horizontal blind, you'd be benefiting from the light control they afford, so you'd probably want to also benefit from being able to adjust 3 separate sections of it. you might be able to get the 3 blinds on ONE headrail, though. and that would look better than 3 separate headrails.

Old 12-23-04, 03:30 PM
tom07
Visiting Guest
wow! now that's a question!!!
Glad you liked it!

Does the stackback figure of 1/3 sound right? It's from a Sunset book, which is all I've got.

instead, i'd recommend a simple panel (plain top or rod pocket that you won't use) hung from metal rings with clips. they slide easily across metal rods
OK, I'm not quite picturing this. Give me a feel for the diameter of the rods and the rings. I presume the rings are visible, yes? Can the rod span 4-1/2' without a support? Can the same approach be used with a finished (therefore smooth) wood rod, and wood rings?

Re the blinds, I had the same thought, 9' x 7' is too heavy. But ti didn't occur to me that one could get all 3 on the same headrail. Can that be done with cellular shades? With shades and blinds generally, or only certain types?

Thanks!

Old 12-28-04, 10:26 AM
1/3 sounds about right.....and if the Sunset book says it, i'd go with that. (sorry - i can't recall ever hearing exactly how stackback is figured! i'm sure the stackback would vary with however full the curtains are, as well as the thickness of the fabric and if they're lined or not.....)

rods & rings: i've seen 1" metal rods with 1 1/4" rings that have little clips hanging from them (i used this rod & rings in my bedroom window treatment) but there are also fatter wooden rods (2" or so) & wooden rings with clips. so whichever look you like - your choice. the rings & clips are visible. if you go to Pottery Barn's or JCPenney's website, you'll see good pictures of this sort of thing. it's very "in" now! if you haven't seen it before, your first thought might be "looks like a shower curtain!" but after a while, you'll start to love it!

i believe most blinds & shades can be done with multiple units on one headrail, but there are going to be exceptions & limitations, i'm sure.

Old 12-29-04, 07:49 PM
tom07
Visiting Guest
Thanks Annette. The 1/3 was an average figure, I'm sure it depends on the material etc.

I took a look at those sites and I see all the rods and rings, thanks for the pointers. I also found a lot of stuff listed with photos at http://www.mtdrapes.com/. The rods are made 1-3/8", 2", and even 3", but no longer than 8'. I presume we'd have to buy 2 6' rods, cut them to 4-1/2' each, and join them in the middle, since we need 9'.

As far as I can tell there is no way to do a 9' rod with rings that will let all the stackback be on one side if I want that, because none of these rods are going to span 9' without a supporting bracket, and none come long enough anyway.

However it appears it could be done with a traverse rod -- they seem to make them long enough and with one side stackback, and I imagine supporting brackets can be set up to not interfere with the mechanism.

Does that sound right? I don't know that I want it all one one side, we're just considering the options.

Thanks,

Old 01-05-05, 06:54 AM
W
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
New Thought !!!!

I would like to introduce Interior Plantation Shutters into the mix. Shutters can be put on a track system for the Patio Doors and also look nice in the windows.
NOT ADVERTISING but www.avbco.com is a nice website to view Shutters!!
For moderators: I am not advertising this company I am listing it as a reference!!

Last edited by WindowSolutions; 01-05-05 at 06:57 AM. Reason: spell check

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: