Wide arched window - blinds?

Old 02-23-05, 11:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Wide arched window - blinds?

Hi there,

I have the following problem, maybe someone has an idea how to fix it?

I am trying to find blinds for a wide arched window (width 59"). At the store they told me that there are no blinds (even not custom made) available that hold up because there is no support in the middle. Until two years ago there used to be cloth blinds that were doing fine without the support. I got rid of it because it was very dirty and could not be cleaned anymore. I had put up curtains that can be closed since it is our front living room window and I don't like it when the house is all open to the public when the light is on in the evening. Well, we are about to sell the house and I was told that I need to put blinds there. The only solution I found in the store was a roller blind which I am not crazy about.

Of course I would like to fix this for as little money as possible. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.

Old 02-23-05, 01:39 PM
Annette's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,155
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wow, whoever told you that sure doesn't want to sell you anything!! 59" isn't all that wide. you shouldn't have any trouble putting a blind or shade there. a quick search on Hunter Douglas's website told me that for a 2" wood blind, you can go up to 96" wide, and a Honeycomb shade can go up to 174" wide. even if what that guy told you was true, you would have the option of going with 2 blinds on one headrail, each blind being about 29" wide.

go to a different store!!!
Old 02-24-05, 04:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thank you, Annette,

I did not believe it either. I had the impression the sales lady did not want to look it up. By the way it was the big home improvement store with the orange signs. It used to be my favorite store for all kind of stuff but obviously yesterday's news that their sales are stagnating has its reason.

I will check the websites you mentioned.

Thanks again
Old 02-24-05, 11:56 AM
johnam's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 2,043
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Since the is no center support and you are looking for the least expensive way out the only solution is a vinyl window shade on a spring roller. If it has to be a blind, you can use a custom mini blind (without a center support). It will be OK until you sell the house then the new owners will have to worry about it sagging.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: