replacing glass in older windows

Old 02-11-00, 05:28 PM
Visiting Guest
I cannot replace my windows, too costly and I live in a condo. I am trying to find out if there are any options for upgrading the glass that is in the existing windows. It seems like there must be something better than thin, single-paned glass.

Old 02-12-00, 02:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi, well yes there is a lot better than single glass panes, there are double glass panes, theses cut down on noise transmittance and heat loss, but the big question here is can your windows be converted from single pane to double pane?, well first I need to know if the windows are Aliminium, Vyinl or wooden, the first two would be difficult to change from single to double unless you know the make of the windows and the company who installed them, if you do then you should be able to buy replacement beads to change them from single to double pane unless the windows are vertical sliders then these are generally not beaded although some are, and are not as easy to change from one to the other, but if the windows are wooden it might be easier to change from single to double glass so long as the profile thickness is wide enough to accept a double glazed unit, check with your local glass company to find out the thinest double glazed unit they produce, we here on the island of Jersey 14 miles off the Coast of France in Europe can make units as thin as 1/2", yours may make them slightly thiner, now if the profile is thick enough to put in a double glazed unit, work will have to be done to the wooden sashes to allow these double glazed units to fit, so when ready put a new question under woodworking projects to find out how to go about this part of the job on preparing the sashes as you will get good answers from the resident exspert when it comes to working with wood, there is also another option where by you fit what is called secondry glazing inside of the original windows so you have two seperat windows in each opening if you want more info on this type of option just let me know, I hope this helps a little, Handyman

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: