Weird Window Measurments

Old 03-03-05, 08:19 AM
The_New_Mrs._G
Visiting Guest
Weird Window Measurments

Hey everyone,

I measured the windows in our new house last night, and I came up with some odd measurements. I was wondering if you all could help me figure out why:

Did I measure wrong? (I measured from inside of frame.)
Are these custom windows?
Are these just old windows?

Here are the measurements:
Living Room and Bedroom Windows = 29"W x 52"H
Bathroom Window = 26"W x 36"H
Kitchen Windows = 29"W x 35"H

If these sound like I measured right, does anyone have any idea what I could do for window treatments, since they are so odd? Would it be okay to just buy blinds or shades that are the next size bigger? It's an older home (built in 1949) so I'm just not sure if I measured wrong or if the windows are weird.

Old 03-03-05, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
custom? old? who knows! but blinds & shades should really be mounted inside the window frame or, imo, they look awful (ie cheap). they'll stick out too far & cause problems when you go to put up a valance or side draperies, and they'll cover up any woodwork you may have around the window. if you can't get them off the shelf to fit right inside, you just need to order them & have them custom made. it'll be worth it. all the companies have sales on & off all the time. go to Lowe's or HD or wherever & price them out in several different brands & styles. for each style, there's always a "value" style, in between ones, and "deluxe" models. they are the basic window treatment that you will probably always leave up, even when you redecorate & change out the overdrapery.

or you can do any kind of drapery/curtain/sheer you want with no problem.

Old 03-09-05, 06:04 PM
InstallerKD
Visiting Guest
All winows are subject to 'custom ' appliction . Are these inside dimentions or outside dimentions ? If they are inside ..be sure to find the narrowest and the shortest dimension . Use that figure to apply size . Outside dimensions .. fine widest and longest . This will be trimwork . Take depths of casement and write down if there are handles ..do not want to order a blind that will be to large like a 2" blind when a 1" blind will fit .Write thickness of trim (wall to trim face) . May need spacers . May want to add 1" minumum to width and perhaps 2" to length to cover trim for looks and coverage for privacy needs . Wrather you are applying a 1'' , 2'' blind , or other type of blind these dimensions will have affect in diffent ways on any dimesion givin to manufacturer . Mentioning all the dimentions and concerns to manufacturer will help put together a great product . Make note of control positioning :length , right/right , left/left and so on . All these are to you descretion . Mftr will accomodate . Do not add or subtract to make a fit , Manufacturer will do this . For doors be sure and take note of knobs .. you may want to position controls opposite . Let them know door ..you will recieve hold down brackets .

Last edited by Annette; 03-10-05 at 11:59 AM. Reason: removed quote

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: