window film

Old 06-20-06, 12:55 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
window film

Has anyone ever tried the UV window film you can put on windows? We moved into a house with a sun room that has beautiful windows that I really don't want to cover up but I also have some art work in the room that I don't want ruined. I saw some UV film at Lowes that I thought I might try. Is it hard to put on? Does it work?

Old 06-20-06, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
It definitely works. On a scale of 1-5 it's about a 2 or 3. The trick is to follow the directions religiously. The glass must be absolutely squeeky clean, to the point of going over the entire surface with a razor blade. Then you cut to a rough size, slightly bigger than the glass. The glass is then wet with a wetting agent. The backing is then carefully removed from the film - pick a corner and take two short pieces of scotch tape and stick them to the corner, one piece on each side. Gently pull the pieces apart and the backing will start to come away from the film. Next the film is sprayed with the wetting agent and placed on the glass. More wetting agent on the top of the film and you carefully squeegy the surface to get all the air out from underneath. Then carefully trim the edge with a sharp razor blade. It's one of those jobs that gets easier the more you do and get the hang of it. We have a family room on the south side of the house that has lots of windows. Put film on them a few years ago and there's a noticeable difference.

Old 06-20-06, 04:36 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Very well said tow guy!

It does indeed take practice so don't give it. I wasn't good w/the squeegy thing. I still ended up with some small bubbles here and there. If you do get some air pockets or whatever they're called, use a safety pin or something to make a small poke in it and it'll come out. Mines are not noticeable at all.

Have fun!

Old 06-20-06, 08:20 PM
L
Sounds a little scary since I think the stuff is pretty expensive. I keep thinking of the tint on peoples car windows. Some definitely doesn't look that great.

Old 06-21-06, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Car windows, especially rear windows, are much harder to do because of curvature, space, etc. It's really not as difficult as it sounds. You might check with your local HD and Lowe's to see if maybe they offer one of their DIY clinics on window film; can't remember if that is on their repertoire or not.

Old 06-21-06, 06:59 AM
L
That is a really good idea. I just LOVE this site! Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-12-06, 09:12 AM
S
Step-by-step photoguide and more other infos about window films is available here:

[URL="http:NOADVERTISINGINFORUMS.COM[/URL]

Last edited by twelvepole; 07-14-06 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-12-06, 10:07 AM
L
Thank You!

Old 09-02-06, 04:49 AM
T
i got tinted security film for my windows, cost is not much more and if someone falls through the window or throws a foot ball throught it then the glass will stay intact. it still cuts the UV rays as well as the heat. i dont know why everyone doesnt do it, the stuff is great. i will never own a house without it on the windows.

Old 01-28-07, 06:47 AM
O
Received 13 Upvotes on 10 Posts
films

This is an older thread - but just a thought to keep in mind when considering aftermarket films is that installing films on dual pane windows will almost certainly void window manufacturers' warranty.

Tinted films in particular can cause problems with both glass breakage and seal failure in IG units.

Also, if the windows have a LowE coating already the coating will block a significant portion of UV from coming into the home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: