2" Faux wood blind installation

Old 02-01-07, 08:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2" Faux wood blind installation

I want to install 2" Faux wood blinds on some of my windows, None of the windows are too wide but are pretty tall... The question I have is.. what kind of screws should i use to install blinds on PVC/vinyl windows...
How do I know that the screw is going through a stud or will pVC hold the screw?

Old 02-01-07, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
First I'm going to ask if there's any chance of mounting them outside? You can cause damage by screwing into vinyl, also you can't repair it like you can with wood, and if they're new windows, you'll void the warranty.

Old 02-01-07, 09:21 AM
nope.. cant mount it outside... The boss wants in inside and they will be inside

Well its a 2003 house so I a am assuming that the warranty is done anyways...

well taking to some co-workers.. they have done this and never had a problem.. but I am still a little concerned if the screws will hold the weight...

Old 02-01-07, 10:18 AM
isn't there some drywall you can screw into? some sort of framing around the window? so you're not attaching them to the actual window themselves?

Old 02-01-07, 06:50 PM
R
It is rare that blinds absolutely HAVE to be screwed into the vinyl framing of a window. Most products have their mounting brackets designed with multiple holes facing multiple directions. The screws can be installed pointing up, back, or sideways, giving you the option of not having to screw through the vinyl.

Most all faux blinds use a box-type bracket that has holes facing in all 3 directions. If you have the depth to do an inside mount, why cant you run the screws to the side or up, into the wall/frame of the window?

Now, there have been times(last resort) when I've had to screw into the vinyl frame. And while I dont prefer to do it this way, heres what I do.
Substitute the mounting screws you'll get for some shorter 1/2" or 3/4" ones. The vinyl frame is hollow, so the length serves no purpose, and theres less chance of hitting any possible mechanical assembly inside.
I would use 3 per bracket to help share the stress load (only 2 are normally used) and most importantly...

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.

Screw them in slowly, but stop when they feel tight. My suggestion to you is to use a hand screwdriver for the final tightening. Using a power drill/screwdriver to run the screws all the way in, may result in possible stripped holes in the thin vinyl if you are not careful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: