Curling pull shades

Old 02-25-07, 12:54 PM
M
mho
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Curling pull shades

I have tried several weights of vinyl pull shades on my home windows and all seem to curl in along the vertical edges - and not just a little bit, a lot. They curl in enough that the privacy one would normally expect is impared. A couple of questions to the forum.
1. Is this the nature of vinyl pull shades?
2. Does anyone manufacture a roll-up pull shade which does not curl?
Tnx for any insight.
Mho

Old 02-25-07, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
This is not the nature of roller shades and I can't say I've encountered that problem before. Usually curling happens when something is too tight or off kilter. Are you buying the correct size? Are you rolling it too tight or crooked? Or perhaps the place that's cutting it for you is cutting it off grain or using a cutter with a dull knife. Maybe someone else has better thoughts on this, but these things come to mind. If they're all the same brand then maybe try a different brand, but sorry I don't know of any to recommend.

Old 02-26-07, 06:15 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
I've installed shades for 40 years. It's the nature of vinyl shades to curl. Some have a tendency to curl more than others. If they were left to hang, the curl will lessen but when you roll them up and pull them down again the curl returns. Good quality fiberglass shades curl less.

Old 02-26-07, 09:42 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with the experiences that johnam has stated, and that other shade materials will hang better.

I kinda suspect the direct pulling of the shade itself from the bottom rail or tassel may contribute to this curling. Especially if the spring tension is set too high. In fact, most roller shades I do now come standard with a beaded chain loop that is used to raise and lower the shade. This eliminates pulling directly on the shade now, and offers 100% control over shade open/close position. This may be something you could consider.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: