Looking for Blinds for Tilt & Turn Windows

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-07, 07:11 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for Blinds for Tilt & Turn Windows

I am looking for blinds or shades made specifically for Tilt & Turn windows. These windows swing in like French doors and also tilt in hopper-style at the top. The only blinds I have seen have been from European sites.

I want something minimal and highly functional that attaches to the sash and has tracks or some other apparatus that hold it flat to the sash even if the window is tilted in. It should be as thin as possible so it won't bind when the windows are open nearly 180 degrees and laying against the wall.

All suggestions welcome, although vertical blinds or drapes that attach to the wall or window frame are not being considered. I'd prefer the current old-bedsheet-and-two-nails arrangement to that.

Photos at
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/ArgMeMatey/TiltAndTurn/

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-07, 04:58 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
The first problem might be how much space you have behind the handle. Honeycomb shades, mini or micro blinds with hold down brackets at the bottom might be your only choices. They are available with side tracks if necessary.

Old 02-28-07, 07:14 PM
A
Originally Posted by johnam View Post
The first problem might be how much space you have behind the handle. Honeycomb shades, mini or micro blinds with hold down brackets at the bottom might be your only choices. They are available with side tracks if necessary.
The handle rotates 180 degrees, across the glass in an arc from "south" to "north". Between the sash and the closest point on the handle the clearance is 1-1/2".

So where do I look for, or how do I order "side tracks"? As you might have guessed, the blind people at the big orange box couldn't find anything. Sorry, that might be offensive to non-sighted people. The clueless people at the big orange box couldn't find anything.

Last edited by ArgMeMatey; 02-28-07 at 08:25 PM. Reason: correct handle rotation
Old 02-28-07, 08:16 PM
R
The only side tracks I have seen/used are the ones designed for cellular shades. Typically they are used in skylight type applications, to help keep the shade material from sagging down when the angle of the ceiling or skylight is sloped.

In the product spec books I have looked in, only HunterDouglas has a skylight shade (Simplicity) that says it can be mounted *Outside Mount*(like yours will be). I have never done an O.M. skylight before and didnt know it was available, since I cant see how you could mount the side tracks through the back lip and not have the screw heads cause a problem hitting the shades bottom rail when raising and lowering?

Also, more importantly, the smallest projection of the two different side tracks they offer, is 1 11/16". So that is not going to fit behind the handles you mention.

However, I think johnam had the best working suggestion by going with cellular shades using the hold down brackets. If you order TOP/DOWN BOTTOM/UP style shades, you can leave the bottom rails hooked into the hold downs all the time. This will keep the shades from swinging freely when you tip the windows inward, and still allow you to raise and lower them without hooking/unhooking them from the hold downs every time. They will fit behind the handles too.
They will now stack closed at the bottom only(if left in the hold downs), but if youve never seen these, you should check them out because many people prefer rasing the shade from the bottom over the standard operation.

Old 02-28-07, 08:33 PM
A
Originally Posted by Randy E View Post

However, I think johnam had the best working suggestion by going with cellular shades using the hold down brackets. If you order TOP/DOWN BOTTOM/UP style shades, you can leave the bottom rails hooked into the hold downs all the time. This will keep the shades from swinging freely when you tip the windows inward, and still allow you to raise and lower them without hooking/unhooking them from the hold downs every time. They will fit behind the handles too.
They will now stack closed at the bottom only(if left in the hold downs), but if youve never seen these, you should check them out because many people prefer rasing the shade from the bottom over the standard operation.
Thanks for the detailed answer.

Stacking on the bottom is preferable. For privacy we might want to have them raised 2/3 or whatever. We have some other cellulars that go both ways and that works fine.

However I don't see how the bottom rail hold-downs will hold the shade flush against the sash when it is tilted inward, unless the cords are guitar-string taut. What am I missing here?

Also does anybody make a bottom-up that is somehow cordless? Meaning maybe there are cords to hold it in place but you just pull or push the railing to close or open? Wifey has just informed me she loves the cordless ones her sister has. But those are top-down only.

Old 02-28-07, 09:12 PM
R
If you truly need the shades to remain tight *against* the window sash when tilted inward, the yes the blind would have to be very taut. Truly, I would never want to install one with that much tension personally, but without side channels, I cant think of any other solutions, so far.

My HunterDouglas and Kirsch books both offer a cordless TD/BU cellular, but I didnt see it mentioned in my Comfortex book. I could've sworn they had one too, but maybe I just need to look harder. Anyway, I'm confident other brands may offer a cordless TD/BU as well. They are nice, and a MUCH "cleaner" look, especially on a TD/BU.

Old 10-29-12, 02:22 PM
A
Thanks. I will look them up. Although this is an old thread, the problem is still unresolved.

Old 10-29-12, 02:27 PM
A
Just adding a photo if IMG linking is now permitted ...

Old 02-16-13, 08:33 PM
A
After a long and fruitless search, I gave up. Then out of the blue last fall, a US dealer for MHZ found me and I bought these blinds and installed them. They are exactly what I was looking for.

Old 12-03-13, 01:51 PM
X
Please provide a link or contact to the supplier

Hi! My building is installing tilt and turn windows, and while we are very excited to have them blinds are an obvious sticking point, they just arent widely distributed here in the states. Can you please provide your contact for MHZ and your experience with the blinds now that they have been installed for a year. They look like just the solution our building is looking for.

Thank you!!

Old 12-03-13, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 117 Votes on 92 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry, but we can not provide contact info on this forum.
If you do a google search for MHZ blinds, you will find the info you need.

Closed Thread