Reflective Insulating shades for east west

Old 06-20-07, 07:05 AM
Reflective Insulating shades for east west

Just moved into our new place we had built in Logan, Utah. Had no choice but to put windows on the east end (bonus room over a garage) and west end (living room windows that face the street) and now we need a way to keep the sun out.
East end is back yard, so reflective foil will not be an appearance issue.
What is a good choice for the window facing the street? Whatever we do in the living room, there will be drapes as well for the inside appearance. I doubt the wife will go for the appearance of reflective foil on the front of the house.
Windows are casement, so we need access to the cranks at the bottom of each window.
So far, with good overhang, good insulation, etc. the house stays cool all day without air conditioning, except for the bonus room. Today will be a good test day, supposed to hit mid 90's.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-07, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
I don't know anything about this reflective foil and don't think I'd want it on my windows either, LOL Have you thought about having these windows treated with window film?
Solar blinds/shade, blackout or dimm out romans or roller blinds are all options.
There are replacement handles available for the cranks so it doesn't interfere with blinds and shades.
Just closing the draperies when the sun's shining in will help also, if they're at least lined.
Maybe someone else will jump in with more suggestions.