Sizing up your window shades

Old 11-18-08, 12:03 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Sizing up your window shades

I'm moving into a new house soon and need to put in window shades for the windows. This might sound like a dumb question - and it might be one, too - but can someone please tell me how am I supposed to properly size up the window so I get the right size window shade.

For example, the width of one window is 70cm (28 inches). Does this mean that should be the width of the window shade, or do I need to measure the width of the window ledge?

As you might tell, I'm a novice - if that - at these things, so any help/tips would be most appreciative!

Thanks

Old 11-18-08, 12:31 PM
K
It's not a dumb question as there is a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to sizing shutters and blinds.

First question I have is by blind do you mean wood blind / mini blind or do you mean a louvered shutter? Different people mean different things by "blinds" so I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

As far as sizing really what you want to do first is look at your window opening and decide what you would like to see the blind cover. By that I mean do you want the blind to fit just within the frame of your window, maybe cover your window frame...or something else entirely.

Once you know that, you will need to know how the blind will mount to your opening. If you can tell me what you are thinking of when you say "blind" I can help you from here.

Jim

Old 11-18-08, 01:03 PM
S
Hi Jim,

Thanks for replying so quickly and offering help! I really appreciate it!!!

By blinds I mean the actual window shade - e.g., venitian blinds, roller blinds, etc. - I haven't decided yet what I'll do yet.

The windows are mostly sliding windows (side-to-side), but there are a few narrow (28 inches) windows that open inwards like a door.

In terms of positioning within the widow ledge (box/cutout - not really sure what to call it), the windows are closer to the exterior wall of the house - meaning that most of the window sill is within the inside of the house. The windows are set approx. 6 inches (window sill) in from the the interior walls.

Thanks again!

Sam

Old 11-18-08, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 341 Upvotes on 272 Posts
While I like blinds better when they're inside mount, if your windows open inward, then you won't be able to do this or the blinds will be in the way, unless you have no intention of ever opening the windows. You'll have to mount them outside and up high enough to clear the window when you open them. You might want to consider another treatment instead.
If you decide to outside mount them, you measure from the edge of one molding to the edge of the other side (is this what you mean by window ledge, the wood molding around the window)? I like blinds or shades to hug the window and not extend out too far, so you'll just want to add an inch or two to your measurement, and that's the width you'll need. If they're too wide for the window, then they look like a top hat floating up there
When you measure for inside mounted blinds, you measure inside the frame from one end to the other and that's the size you want. The deduction for the blind or shade itself (not the hardware) will already be taken if you're buying readymades. If they're custom, they'll know what deduction to take.
Just ask if you have more questions.

Old 11-19-08, 01:27 PM
K
Hi Sam,

There is nothing I can say to improve on what Shadeladie so I'll just keep mum.

Jim

Old 11-20-08, 01:24 AM
S
Thumbs up

Yes, Jim, Shadeladie did cover a lot of aspects. Thank you both for the help!

Old 11-20-08, 02:28 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You don't indicate what type of shades. It's usually inside or outside mount on windows. The horizontal and vertical blinds are dated, except many still prefer verticals for patio doors.

Old 11-21-08, 03:20 PM
Sizing up your window shades

You may want to look at one of the web sites for companies that sell all different types of blinds/shades.

The y have good instruction on how and what to measure once you decide whether you want it inside or outside/over the opening.

I bought a number of different ones from justblinds. I do not have the web site, but it should be easy to find.

The brands they handle are many of the nationals ones. If you want something like two sets of mini blinds on one track/frame with separate control locations thay can be far, far cheaper the the big bad box stores. I had one that was a split horizontal mini-blind for use at a sliding door. I chose the location for each of the cords and each of the tilt wand and there was no extra charge. Fabric samples are available in a couple of days. Delivery is quick to your door and is usually quicker than the big box or the scheduled date. The blinds are usually coming from the same place as a decorator or big box get them, usually at a lower price.

I just ordered some custom fabric vertical blinds for a custom interior use (good looking moveable interior partition) to seasonally control air movement and noise from an open stairway.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: