Solar Heat Reducing Window screens - Restore the tint?

Old 07-06-12, 10:06 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solar Heat Reducing Window screens - Restore the tint?

Folks,
We have these installed on the outside of the house, but I've noticed the color is getting lighter as time goes on. The screen material is in good condition.........Question.........can the solar "paint" be re-applied? Can I get a hold of a tint and basically repaint the screens?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-12, 04:45 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
The solar screens reduce the heat because the weave is tight and blocks a certain percentage of the rays of the sun. The color is not a solar paint but probably a dye in the material. Light colors are better since they reflect rather than absorb the heat as dark colors do.

Old 02-12-13, 08:49 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know of no "paint" available, but even if the screen has faded, it is probably still blocking UV and glare. If aesthetics are bothering you, you can replace the solar material. I have installed screens here in San Antonio and after seven years they still look new. I believe the technology in today's solar fabrics has improved. I have re-screened 20 year old screens with your same problem. Also, over time, the solar screen frame color fades. Depending where you are and the amount of fabric needed, you can disassemble the screen, paint the frames, and re-install new fabric. I suggest Textilene solar fabric. I use it here in my shop and it has provided good success and service. If you cannot find it locally, go to*************

Last edited by Shadeladie; 02-13-13 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising NOT allowed