Installing plantation shutters

Old 10-24-12, 09:37 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing plantation shutters

Hello Friends,
I am looking to fit plantation shutters on my windows. I was planning on purchasing my shutters online on eBay and installing them myself. I was wondering what sort of material should I go for? Should I go for wood or plastic or any other material. Also any suggestions about going inside or outside mount. My house gets plenty of sunshine so I am thinking the best color would be white but still any other suggestions are welcome. Any online sites that are recommended to buy shutters from?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-12, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 117 Votes on 92 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about shutters, but of course, wood is always nice, but will cost more. They also come in PVC with a hard finish which is another good choice. Both of these are usually made in the US if that's an issue. Then there's MDF with a laminated finish which will be cheapest and made in China.
I personally would go with one of the first two.
I also would not buy online if possible. You will probably get the MDF online and they also may not fit so well. If there's a problem (even with the fitting), you'll have to send them back. Shipping will also be a bit pricey and especially if you if have to return them, I would think.
As for color, I like to match blinds to the window trim or the floor. If your trim is white, then white would be perfect IMO.

Old 10-25-12, 09:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 279 Posts
If you go with white, definetaly get the prefinished ones. I've stained and painted the raw wood ones and it's not a fun job.

Old 10-25-12, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 117 Votes on 92 Posts
I forgot to address the inside or outside. That's really preference or even which works best. I like blinds inside mounted because I think they look nicest like that. Do you have enough room to put them inside? They may stick out a little when open, but you don't want them sticking out too far in the room. In that case, you'd need to mount them outside.