Advice on shortening chains, on chain-drawn shades, for child safety

Old 11-10-12, 01:54 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on shortening chains, on chain-drawn shades, for child safety

Hi -
I have a 2-year old, and I need to eliminate the danger posed by the long chains on my 10-foot high full-wall window shades. I've looked into motorization, but it would also work if we could just shorten the chain loop. Right now, the way the chain drive is set up is with 'stoppers' that demark 'fully drawn' and 'fully retracted'. And of course, there is the 'join', that little silver thing that holds the end of the chain together.

So here is my question: Can I shorten the chain, remove the 'stoppers' and just have a chain that makes multiple passes through the gear to get the blind all the way down & up? Or will the 'joint' in the chain jam in the gear?

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-12, 01:59 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums

With cord drapes, the convention is to not make a loop, just two loose ended strings. That won't work for you?

What about putting a hook up high to loop the chain around when not in use to keep it well above two year old height?

Old 11-10-12, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 117 Votes on 92 Posts
They now sell a tension device for chained shades to keep the chain tight to the wall.
http://www.rowleydiy.com/DIY/DIYUniv...sionDevice.asp

Not sure if there's anywhere else you can buy it. Probably is, but don't know where.

Old 11-11-12, 03:12 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
The chain connector, that joins the ends of the chain, can't pass through the gear. Open it up, pull the chain so the shade is fully up and do the same for it being fully down. You can then determine how short you can make the chain to be out of reach of the child. You can joined it again or leave the ends of the chain as is. It's possible that with a 10' shade the chains may still be too long so you can simply remove the connector.

Old 11-11-12, 08:34 PM
E
Thank you...

Thanks everyone. Good ideas... We already have a hook that used to hold the chains out of reach but she is growing, and can now reach them! Yikes. If the connector can't go through the gear, I guess I'm out of luck in terms of trying to shorten the chain, but just getting rid of the connector would at least turn the loop into two long chains.

I wonder if someone makes a fixed-length chain, without a connector, that I could thread over the gear, so it could pass through the gear multiple times and enable me to raise/lower the shades...

Thanks again for the tips.

Old 11-12-12, 10:19 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Those in window treatment business have a tool to open the metal beaded chain and re-connect it to make a continues loop. The problem would be that if you pull the chain past the upper or lower most points the fabric will reverse the way it rolls onto the roller. You can't do this with plastic chain.

Old 11-16-12, 07:04 PM
T
Wouldn't you have to have a bigger gear ? Multiple passes means it has to hold more, right? All I would do is drape any excess over the top of everything. It may not look all that pretty, but safety first.

Old 11-17-12, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 117 Votes on 92 Posts
His shade is 10 foot high, so I don't think it'll work to drape it over the top.

The tension device I suggested is a safety device, however, I think getting a cordless shade or having the current one motorized is probably the best solution.