Blind/shutter options for a very shallow arched top window

Old 02-03-13, 06:33 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blind/shutter options for a very shallow arched top window

I have a large arched top window that is mounted very shallow there is almost no room to mount anything plus there is a lot of trim around the windows making it very hard to find anything that will work for these windows I will upload some pictures but I need some suggestions I said we could mount them outside the frame which would work but an inside mount is what she wants so I am trying to find options.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-13, 06:06 PM
D
Here are some pictures of the window that I am trying to find some blind or shutter options.

Attached Images      
Old 02-04-13, 07:39 PM
I assume you want to preserve the arch, but still control the light into the room.

Make up your mind whether you want vertical or horizontal blinds or shades.

If you have all the money in the world, you can have special customized vertical blind the separates in the center and opens the central portion of the window to the exterior. A compromise would be a vertical blind assembly for the lowere portion that has an acceptable frame to let it blend in with the walls or trim.

If you are only concerned with the lower square sections and leave the arch area alone, mini blinds in an option with the choice of one or more sections on a single head rail. I have several of these and the head rail is about 2+" high and can be painted to any color to match walls or trim. My goal was to make the blinds "disappear" during the day and heavier gauge aluminum mini blinds (2 sections on a single head rail) have worked well to disappear during the day and cut off radiant heat loss, insure privacy and provide a durable solution to provide access for an over-size sliding door. They were all purchased on line and were national brands made to my size/specifications and delivered within 10 days.

If you are on a budget trying to control the top and lower portions separately will be difficult unless you can accept a rail of some sort (color, texture, etc.) separating the rectangular area from the arch with minimal intrusion.

Dick

Old 02-04-13, 09:44 PM
D
Thanks for the response I would like to leave the arch the way it is and just focus on the 2 square sections the problem I am having is there isnt enough room to do an inside mount for the blinds so I would have to go with an outside mount mounted above the square sections and below the arch on that piece of trim. We purchased a set of cellular shades at home depot but took them back because we couldn't do an inside mount then we through around the idea of internal shutters but these windows are so shallow there is no way to mount them especially because they usually come with a frame and it would have to go over the team because the window does not have enough recess to it. I think the only option is to do an outside mount the couple things I was wondering are if we mount them outside can I make a frame to cover the blind headrail or do they make something for that? Also these windows actually fold in on the lower part of the window and with there being no recess the bottom window is in the line of the blind anymore suggestions would be appreciated thanks!!!

Old 02-05-13, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! That's a tough one. There's no way to mount anything inside. If custom is in the budget, a fabric shade, like a Roman, would look nicer as it can be mounted on a very small headrail (which will be covered by the fabric).
A small cornice would have to be made to cover a hard blinds headrail. There's nothing you can buy, as far as I know. Also, if you do get outside mount blinds, make sure they don't extend too far out from the sides (should be only about an inch), or the window will look like it's wearing a top hat.
The only other option, which would look nicer than a hard blind, is draperies hung up high over the arch. However, it would have to be ceiling mounted since it doesn't look like there's much room above the arch to hang on the wall. I also can't tell from your pics if there's even any room on the sides to stack them.

The only other thing I can think of, is to have the windows tinted.

Old 02-06-13, 02:35 PM
S
This is not a un-common arrangement. You could go with shutters but be prepaired to write a big check plus have it professionally measured and installed. You have many other options here. Wood blinds, cellular shades Roman shades or woven woods. Whichever you choose it has to be a outside mount. I think wood or faux wood blinds would be a good choice. Plus it comes with a valance (that's the piece that goes across the top to cover up the metal headrail and give it a finished look. It you want it to look nice stay away from stocked blinds at big box stores. Order custom from a online store and you'll pay about the same , maybe a little more but not much. The way you order it will be important. Measure the width from trim to trim and divide by two. This will give you the width of each blind. For the height measure from just below the arch to the sill. To give it a nice clean look specify the control for the left blind to both be on the left and for the right blind for both to be on the right. This will keep the center free of cords. Then tie it all together with a common valance (the piece at the top). On the order call out one valance to go across the top of both blinds. Here's a link to what it might look like

Mod note: You might want to upload that pic to a photo site or upload directly, since advertising is not allowed on here.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 02-06-13 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Link removed.
Old 02-06-13, 06:16 PM
S
Here's a picture of a similiar set-up but without the arch. The controls are to the outside leaving the center clean and a common valance going across both blinds. You can also do cellular shades which will be the easist solution for the arch, if you wanted to add it in the future.
Name:  IMG_7357.jpg
Views: 6662
Size:  38.7 KB