Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Decorating, Design, Painting, Upholstery and Fabrics Center > Blinds, Shades and Shutters
Reload this Page >

Installing roller blind outside, slightly too short to fit into bracket?

Old 02-09-13, 01:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I bought some extremely discounted block out holland blinds yesterday ($10!) and one side is about 2 centimetres short of fitting in to the bracket.

Can someone please suggest what would be the best way to either chock up the brickwork? Or any suggestions on what I can do would be appreicated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-13, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 117 Votes on 92 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! I don't know what holland blinds are or chock up the brickwork means or what 2 centimeters measure, for that matter, lol!
Any rate, there's not much you can do if they're not wide enough. I guess you can't use them inside mount, rather than outside? You could cut them down, then.
The only thing I can think of otherwise, is to move the brackets from next to the window (which is where I'm assuming they are) to the top of the window. Then you can move them closer together.

Old 02-09-13, 02:14 PM
S
Put some kind of spacer between the wall and the bracket. A little block of wood would probally do the trick.

Old 02-09-13, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
I don't understand how adding a block of wood is going to make the blind now reach the bracket?

Old 02-09-13, 10:02 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
SlowTyper is suggesting to shim out the bracket on one side - just far enough so that it will hold the shade. This will offset the shade by about 1/4" which should not look too bad.

The idea is to narrow the distance between the brackets, since you can't widen the shade. Makes sense to me.

Old 02-10-13, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It's 2.54cm per inch....so it's just over 3/4" short. It would be best to shim both sides an equal amount. 3/4" offset on one side would be pretty noticeable to me.

Old 02-10-13, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
OK, IC. I just did a search on "Holland blinds", and I see it's just another name for Roller Blinds. The problem I see here with adding a shim to make the brackets closer, would be that the blind might fall down every time you go to raise or lower them, because the brackets might still not be close enough, unless you plan on never touching them.
I still think mounting them inside, if possible, or on top of the window, so you put the brackets in the right place to begin with, is best.
Then, I would add a rod and panels on the sides to disguise the fact that they're not wide enough, unless looks are not important to you.
A pic might help, too.

Old 02-10-13, 01:08 PM
S
I am assuming these are inside mounts and the shades are too narrow for the openings. Gunguy your right 3/4 inch is quite a bit. Shimming boths sides would be recommended. 2 3/8 pieces of wood or whatever type of material you like can be attached to each side of the opening with flat head screws or even nails. After the shims are mounted, then install the brackets onto the shims. You can paint the shims first if you like. If this for some reason is an outside mount then the only thing I can think of is the brackets are already installed from an old shade and your trying to fit the new shades in them. If this is the case simply remove the brackets and move them in a little to fit the opening.

Old 02-10-13, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
I assumed outside mount, since that's what they stated they were in the first post. However, that's why I asked for a pic, so we don't have to assume.

Old 03-06-14, 12:30 PM
C
I have the same problem...only my blinds are 1/2 inch too short. I was thinking about adding a hardware nut between the wall and the bracket to shim 1/2"......could this work??