Making your own Roller Shade

Old 03-26-13, 10:06 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Making your own Roller Shade

I have some left over material from making solar screens for my windows, and am thinking of trying to make a roll down shade that I can put on the back patio. Has anyone else done this? Or know where to get the parts? I may stop by a blinds store and see what they have.

Thank you,

matt

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-13, 04:30 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
To make the shade you must make a bottom hem to hold a strip of metal (1/8" X 2") to add weight so that it rolls down. The best system is to buy a clutch roller. It can also work with a spring roller which will require a smaller hem and a wood slat. The material should be cut 12" longer than the actual window height to allow for wrapping around the roller.

Old 03-27-13, 05:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
I hate to send you somewhere else but do a search online for "how to make roller window shade". Many different sites and videos are out there showing step by step directions and several different methods so you can pick the one you like best.

Old 03-27-13, 09:57 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you are considering a spring powered roller shade, and if the width would not exceed about 72", then a blind or shade shop should be able to provide a roller and mounting brackets. I working for a manufacturer many years ago and 72" was the widest we made.
We attached the material to the roller with a strip of heavy kraft paper. Two hot melt glue lines - one to attach the paper to the roller and one to attach the paper to the shade material.

Old 03-27-13, 08:24 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I may need to go wider than 72''. I will stop by a blinds shop this weekend. I'm finishing the plans for a patio cover, and I want to put these on the outside to block the sun for when we sit out there in the evening.

Thanks for the inputs guys, much appreciated.

matt

Old 03-28-13, 04:59 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Wider than 72" and using it outdoors means that you must use a clutch roller made for exterior use.