Hanging Window Blinds

Old 03-25-14, 08:30 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging Window Blinds

I'm trying to hang some blinds in a room. In the attached picture you can see the top right-hand corner of the window. The holes labeled 'A' are where the blinds were hanging when we moved in - they were held up by fittings which were just screwed straight into the window frame.

The holds labeled 'B' and 'C' are where I thought I could do the same thing - drill a small hole and then just screw straight into the window frame. It didn't work.

As I drilled the holes it felt like I went through the drywall, then through nothing for an inch or so, then into wood at the very end, as if there were a gap between the drywall and the wood frame. Does that make any sense?

I'm no DIY expert, so I don't have any idea how the window frame is constructed - I thought there would be a wood frame that I could just screw into. Apparently not.

So now I can't just screw straight into the wood frame, and since it seems the gap between the drywall and the wood is pretty small, I don't think I can use a toggle bolt or anything similar, either.

So how can I hang these blinds? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-14, 08:40 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That type construction?
Walls that thick could be concrete block, pored concrete, 2 X 6's/

Old 03-26-14, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You want to mount your blinds inside the return area. Of course if you have already bought longer ones, you can't. Holes "a" are the correct ones. They go into a 2x6 or larger after the sheetrock. The screws provided may not be long enough.

Old 03-26-14, 04:21 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Try a long screw where you plan on mounting the blinds. If it's indeed wood, the screws will hold. You must be careful not to over-tighten the screws and crush the drywall. What type of blind is it?

Old 03-26-14, 07:22 AM
B
I have absolutely no idea.

Old 03-26-14, 07:26 AM
B
Great, thank you. I'll try the longer screws.

Can you buy extra long drill bits? The drill bit I have that was the right size for the screws isn't long enough to drill holes any deeper for the screws to go into in the wood.

Old 03-27-14, 05:11 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
You don't have to drill hole in the wood, just a hole in the drywall that's about the diameter of the screw. The screw will thread itself into the wood. Use a screw that is about an inch longer than the distance from the outside of the wall to the wood.

Old 03-27-14, 07:11 AM
B
Thanks you for your help.