Garage Privacy without losing outward visibility

Old 06-16-14, 08:03 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Privacy without losing outward visibility

My garage door has two long, horizontal windows near the top, with clear glass. When I'm not home, I need to block visibility into the garage from outside; however, I would like the option of seeing out from the inside when I am home. Would it make sense to install mini- or micro-blinds? Are there other options about which I'm not aware? I don't want frosting or other similar treatments that seem to be common for this application, because I would like clear vision (and plenty of light) from inside at certain times. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-14, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Interior light blocking screens held on with rare earth magnets? That's if it's a steel door of course. Could do the same thing with hooks if wood.

I don't think blinds would be a good solution, although rollup shades might work ok.

Old 06-17-14, 03:21 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
A home near where I live elected to use hinged panels to swing down when he works at night so his activities are not obvious to the neighborhood. He does auto repairs and we are not zoned for businesses. But his approach is very simple and effective.

Bud

Old 06-17-14, 04:59 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
You could apply a reflective film that will allow you to see out and will block vision from the outside. This will only work in daylight hours.

Old 06-17-14, 05:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
How about window tinting film? It's available in a mirrored, one way finish that would allow you to see out but anyone looking in would see a mirror. The only exception is if you have a light on in the garage and it's dark outside. Then one way mirrors don't work so well.

For my warehouse at work we have a canvas flap that hangs down over the garage door windows. It's clipped into the up position during the day and allowed to hand down at night blocking the glass.