Need advice - large "half circle" windows

Old 07-02-14, 07:45 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice - large "half circle" windows

I recently moved into a new home. The house has gorgeous half circle windows in the main part of the house, with 12' ceilings. They're fabulous.....except with all the 90 degree days we've been getting. They let so much so in it's ridiculous!

Do any members have experience with any type of semi-circle mini-blind/shade/etc., or any other suggestions?

Also, under the largest half circle window are 4 vertical windows, each about 18" wide by 5' tall, separated by roughly 4" of wood between them all. I assume a custom sized blind/shade would probably be the best bet for this one?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-14, 07:58 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
If money is no problem then custom made blinds, shades or special curtains are in order. But if money is a concern then if tastefully done a large one or two piece vertical or horizontal blind can be put up. It would not look unsightly from the inside since the widows would be covered in either case when used. From the outside the windows would still look as they always do but an inside cover would be showing.

You can also get UV/heat shielding film put on to reduce the heat flow in both directions.

Old 07-02-14, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
The semi-circular "starburst" shades are very appealing and work great. I would say that most people with those types of windows have them. But they are a little pricey.

Old 07-02-14, 08:10 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to check into prices on these semi-circle shades. Sounds expensive...

Old 07-02-14, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
They can be expensive, depending on the type and where you buy. Many places online as well as local franchises like "Budget Blinds" or similar. Thats not a real name I don't think, but even in my small town there 2 different vans I see with 2 different company names for discounted blinds. They'll be a lot cheaper than a brick and mortar specialty store. Another plus is that's all they do. No wallpaper or drapes or such....just blinds and shades.

If you just go with a non-operable pleated shade of some sort, basically it's just a stiff paper/fabric held in place with clips. A better version of the "instant blinds" you sometimes see at home centers.

I would hope in a new home that they used efficient windows with low E glass. Film would just darken them and may look odd unless put on all windows. Btw, most if not all window warranties are voided by films, though some film companies will warrant the window themselves, but require pro install of the film. That can get very pricey.