Appropriate length of scew for outside mount faux wood blinds

Old 07-29-14, 09:56 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Appropriate length of scew for outside mount faux wood blinds

I am installing a faux wood blinds on my kitchen door. The width is 32", length runs the whole door. The blinds come with screws of 1.25" and 0.75". What is the appropraite length screw for this? Appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-14, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What is the door composed of? Wood, metal? If metal, predrill a hole much smaller than the short screw's diameter and use it. If wood, use the longer screws, again predrilling it to keep the wood from splitting. Before you install them, hold them up there and make sure the door will open completely without hitting the blind frame. Some frames are too deep to span the entire width of the door.

Old 07-30-14, 08:45 AM
Y
The door is wood and 1.75" thick. So you are recommending 1.25" screws?

I just noticed a new problem. I drilled the first hole. After pushing through about 1/4 inch of wood, there is no more pressure on the drill bit. It looks like there is nothing behind the 1/4 inch wood. This is the type of door with full length double pane glass. I wonder if the door is constructed with double layer and hollow inside. If so, how should I attach the blinds?

Last edited by yorkville; 07-30-14 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-30-14, 03:48 PM
Well what you have is a hollow core door. Is this an exterior door? Is it really wood, or fiberglas? Use the short screws if there is no meat behind the skin.

Old 07-31-14, 12:15 AM
Y
Its an exterior door. How do I tell wood vs fiber glass? Here is a picture if that helps.

Will the short screws hold the weight of the blinds. The blind needs to cover the length of the door, 72 inches. If not recommened, other types of blinds I should look it?

Attached Images  
Old 07-31-14, 02:48 AM
That appears to be a steel door, but looking from an edge will verify. Box stores sell blinds that fit exactly in the lite opening with a frame, similar to between-the-glass blinds, only they are inside the house. Very discreet blinds.

Old 07-31-14, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
Well, real wood blinds will be lighter than faux wood.

Old 07-31-14, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
And make sure you are using the right screws. They should be threaded the whole length. If a part of the shank is smooth, they are wood screws and not suitable. Use sheet metal screws with the appropriate diameter, length, and head.

Most brackets use at least 2 screws and should adequately support the weight.

You'd know if it was steel since you would have metal shavings from the holes and a magnet will stick. Fiberglass is plastic and will give little plastic shavings which when heated will stink like...well...burning plastic. Highly unlikely it's a wood door in what looks to be a newer home.

As to the blinds in a frame Larry mentioned, most only work (IIRC) with the type of raised frame to hold the glass in the door. Your existing glass frame appears to be flush with the surface of the door? Or almost flush?

Old 07-31-14, 12:42 PM
Y
I looked at the side of the door, its from Distinction Doors of Livingston NJ, which is part of Nan Ya Plastics. So I guess this settles it. It is a fiberglass door.

The blinds come with screws that are threaded the whole length. Since the door is hollow with the layer of maybe 1/4" thick. I will use the shorter (3/4") screws. Still concerned if the door can handle the weight of the blinds. Should I switch to a celluar blinds, I think its much lighter.

The glass frame is recessed, so I can't install the type of blinds that are between glasses.

Old 07-31-14, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, the faux wood are much heavier, but 2 properly installed screws in each bracket should support them. It does have room for 2 screws doesn't it? If the blinds are close to the door, most of the stress on the attachments is straight down. Now if the blind hangs 3 inches away from the door, there could be a torsional force trying to pull out the screws.

W/o knowing the design of the bracket, it's hard to say.

Old 07-31-14, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
Maybe you missed my post, but if you like wood blinds, real wood is much lighter than faux wood.

Cellular blinds are pricey, very contemporary and ugly, IMO. I guess whether you want to use them depends on your decor and style. If you like them, go for them but I don't often see them on doors.

Old 08-06-14, 08:08 PM
Y
thanks for the replies. I decided to put up celluar blinds, less weight. I was surprised that real wood is lighter than faux wood. I always thought anything synthetic must be lighter than the real things.

BTW, what should I use to patch up unused screw holes on a fiberglass door?

Old 08-07-14, 03:30 AM
Sand the boogers down and use a color coordinated wood putty like Minwax or others.