Graeber vs The Shade Store

Old 03-01-15, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Graeber vs The Shade Store

Hi,
I am a newbie and I think I should have started a new thread rather than contributing to an old.
I am looking at shades to install on French Doors and 2 adjoining windows. I like light filtering weaves and have found two products I like, one a Graber and the other from The Shade Store. Curious a to where these two vendors lie in the spectrum of Window Covering vendors, and in particular Roller Shades at each company in terms of quality of product.

From what I have found so far on this site, it looks like Graber "provides a good product at a good price." Don't know much about the Shade Store except that they have been providing Custom Made Shades, Blinds and Drapery since 1946, have several show rooms across the country, and just moved to a location on Fillmore Street which is a pricey rent area which may affect prices, no sure though because they have online option.

The sales person claimed they are moderately priced for the quality of the product. (She was probably comparing them to Hunter Douglas as the high end of the spectrum, if not the highest, because of name recognition, lifespan of product...) I am comparing it to Graber which Costco is currently offering. I had also looked at 3-Day Blinds, but my impression is that their quality is lower (It might just be the looks (like an sexy Apple Laptop vs. a Toshiba or other laptops that run off of Microsoft Operating systems) because The Shade Store has a showroom vs 3-Day Blinds which have consultants who come to your home to show you products and carry samples of shades in their trunks which consequently look a little beat up.) I have to say seeing the real thing hanging in the window makes a difference.

Anyway I am putting this out there on this site and trying to find a local vendor that carries Graber and may have some hanging model as well.

Also, wrt to Graber, I am debating between a Smart Pull Lift versus their Continuous-Loop Lift if any of you are familiar with them. Comments on longevity of continuous loop mechanisms in general might be useful, if most are made by the same vendors as someone previously commented.

Thanks in advance for any personal experience with these companies, or research that can be shared.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-15, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 51 Posts
I would say Graber is the best. The Smart Pull is just a quicker up and down and the continuous loop is a more controlled up and down, held by a hold down device. Just a preference thing.
Graber has a "find a dealer" section on their site: Graberblinds.com | Find a Dealer

Old 03-05-15, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Costco's Graber Roller Shades and The Shade Co. quotes for Roller Shades don't look all that different, and Costco hasn't mentioned what installation will cost yet. I had actually planned to check tomorrow with a Graber dealer in my area for what they quote for what I am looking at at Costco.

Old 03-06-15, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 51 Posts
FWIW, from an installer for The Shade Store, their shades are a poor quality, while Graber's are excellent quality. Hope this helps!