Verticle blinds not working!

Old 08-25-15, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Verticle blinds not working!

None of the blinds in my home are currently working now!

The one I am currently trying to fix, opens and closes ok, but I can not rotate them. The beads will not run through the part that opens and closes them. As you will see from the photo, the beads are no longer there to pull through.

Here are photos that I hope will help you to understand:

Name:  blinds 2.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  19.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-15, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 272 Posts
If your beaded cord is missing... you need to replace it. Do the blinds rotate if you turn the pulley which the beaded cord used to run over?

Old 08-25-15, 07:24 PM
beaded cord

No the pulley does not move. The beaded cord ended up coming off because we were trying to get it to move and it wouldn't. Then I think it broke or came off when we took everything apart to get to the pulley.

Old 08-28-15, 02:10 PM
possible to continue this thread

I would love to keep this conversation going!

Old 08-28-15, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Well, what have you discovered when looking at the blind? Remember nobody online can see up inside to tell what bits might be broken or binding so it's up to you to try turning the pulley and look down the line to see what's not working. If there is one blind traveler that's causing the problem you can remove it to get the others working.

Do you know the brand or manufacturer? If not you'll have to consider that parts are probably not available.

Old 08-29-15, 01:39 PM
the pulley is stuck solid - no turning at all. what is a traveler?

Old 08-29-15, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 51 Posts
I think he means the carriers, when he says travelers. I'm afraid I don't know enough about verticals and repairing them, to guide you. You'll probably have to take off that end piece to find the chain. The chain goes thru the pulley, which turns a rod, which turns the gears inside the carriers, in order to rotate the vanes. The chain will need to be fixed or replaced and then the vanes may need to be taken off in order to check the carriers. That's about as much as I know tho.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-30-15 at 06:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-15, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Most vertical blinds have two systems. One moves each blind back and forth pulled by the string. The other controls rotation. A shaft runs the length of the blind and is rotated by the pulley on the end.

Each vertical blind is attached to a carrier/traveler. That traveler slides along the shaft. The rope pulls it back and forth while the shaft rotating through a gear mechanism makes the blind rotate.

Since there are many mechanical bits it is likely that one fails before the others. That one broken bit can jam up the works and prevent the shaft from rotating. Removing the one offending carrier/traveler may allow the others to rotate.

In the end... vertical blinds are pretty inexpensive and most are not designed to be repaired. Anything can be fixed but often it's cheaper and certainly easier to replace the entire thing.

Old 09-01-15, 10:51 PM
pulley stick solid

so if the pulley isn't moving at all - is that a sign of what the problem is? can't really check what isn't moving if the pulley isn't moving at all.

Old 09-02-15, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 51 Posts
Not really. Something's jammed in there, which is hanging up the pully. Have you found the chain?
I think the vanes need to be removed and you need to look inside the headrail to see what might be jamming up the works.