Inside mount blinds but sill is too small

Old 09-10-15, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Inside mount blinds but sill is too small

I want to put up blinds with an inside mount on my window. But the sill is 1 inch and the requirement for the blind is 1 3/8 inch. Is there any work around that I can do to get past this?
I am thinking of attaching a 1' x 2' piece of wood to the sill to give me the dimensions that I need, but not sure if this a good idea.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-15, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 271 Posts
It's hard to picture... without a picture or without knowing what kind of blinds you are installing. I've installed many types in areas smaller than recommended. Often the mounting bracket or blind base may be proud (stick out) but as long as there is enough room for the mounting screws it works.

Also, I assume you don't mean "sill" but I honestly don't know the proper name for the piece I think you mean. Maybe "head jamb".

Old 09-10-15, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 51 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! I agree with Pilot Dane. You can still mount it, but then it will project into the room. The valance that comes with it, may hide the top of this a bit, tho.
If you used 1 x 2's, they'd have to go in the sides, not the top, which would also mean the blind would have to be narrower, which would give you a large gap at the sides. Not nice.
Yes, the sill is at the bottom. I just call it the top of the inside frame.

Old 09-10-15, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the help.

Pilot Dane - I can't seem to upload the picture. But based on your great diagram picture, I would say it is the sash stop that I am measuring.

Shadeladie - Why would the 1 x 2 need to go into the side? I was thinking of mounting it to the top, and the the 2 inch projecting out. And then attach it that way. Not sure if that is clear.

I appreciate the help so much. I feel like I am going around in circles over these damn blinds.

Old 09-10-15, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 51 Posts
The brackets usually get screwed in thru the sides. Either way, your only problem will be the blinds sticking out into the room.