How to repair crack Plantation Shutter?

Old 10-17-15, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to repair crack Plantation Shutter?

Hello all,

My interior shutter blind is broken and I need to find a solution to fix the problem.

Q1> Is there a good product I can use to repair the crack wood and drill a hole to insert the pin later? Most products I found on web are only for filling the hole without structure support.

Q2> How do I remove the blind from the frame?

Thank youName:  WP_20151017_003.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  10.6 KBName:  WP_20151017_002.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  16.8 KBName:  WP_20151017_001.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  12.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-15, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Removing the louver is done one of two ways. The louvers may have spring pins on one side. If it has a spring pin, you can depress the spring using a knife blade to push the pin toward the louver until it is free of the frame.

If the louver has solid wood pins on both ends, then you remove it by cutting one pin and replacing it with a spring pin, which you can get from places like Shutter Medic.

Shutter Medic and others also have replacement louvers of varying sizes; that may be the easiest way to repair it.

If you want to try repairing the one you have, after you remove it, first glue the split with wood glue, by *carefully* opening up the crack a little bit and using a toothpick to get some glue into the split area. After you get some glue in there, use masking tape to clamp the split tight until the glue dries.

Next, get some machineable wood putty (I like WoodEpox) and use it to fill in the missing areas. Let it set, then sand it smooth. Then you can drill a new hole for the tilt pin.

If you had to cut the louver pin, you will half to drill a hole there as well so you can insert the spring pin.

Hope this helps and good luck!