Window studs for horizontal blinds

Old 12-07-17, 08:38 AM
Window studs for horizontal blinds

Good Morning All,

I'm trying to hang horizontal blinds and I have drilled pilot holes on the top of the window. The first two drill bits went about 3/4 deep and then there was a gap of about 1/4 inch and then something hard again. Maybe it was a stud. I was thinking the stud would be againts the drywall. So I then drill two more pilot holes shown directly above the stud finder but upon drilling through the pilot hole I hit metal and stopped. Any suggestions? Should I just use the first two pilot holes? I hope I explained everything correctly. And why is there a gap between the stud? Any help you can provide me will be greatly appreaciated.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Clemsontiger2; 12-07-17 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Image rotated 90 degrees
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-17, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
Starting at the wall surface, you likely have 1/2" drywall, then 1 1/2" thick wood then possibly a 1/2" spacer or partial gap, then another 1 1/2" of wood. If it's 2x6 construction the gap may be wider.

You should hit the center of the first member of the header if you measure back 1 1/4" from the wall surface. You would likely want to be using screws that are at least 1 1/2" long.

Old 12-07-17, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the help but when I tried to drill on the way on the side of the window; the first set apears to be drywall, gap, then hard wood. Should I still use a metal nail for that? I don't think its drywall all the way through. Directly under the above the stud fider appears to be metal or a nail. I didn't try to drill through it though.

Old 12-07-17, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
Sorry I thought I was looking at the top of the window. The side should be solid wood once you get past the drywall. But I don't know for sure... you could have steel studs for all I know.

Old 12-07-17, 11:05 AM
Ok i really appreciate the feedback. Maybe I should see if I can have a look at the blueprints.
Best Regards,