Blinds for sliding door

Old 04-12-21, 08:03 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 26
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blinds for sliding door

My wife insists on getting thin horizontal strip vinyl blinds for this sliding door. We probably will need to get two and for sure will need to install it outside of the molding. The problem is that with the handle and the molding on top, there is about a 1.5 inch protrusion and we will need something to extend the blind out so that when installed it can drop straight down outside of the protrusion without an unsightly bulge over the molding and handle.

Is there some kind of extension bracket that I can buy? Does anyone know the name to search for? Thank you.

Old 04-12-21, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 28,331
Received 2,311 Upvotes on 2,056 Posts
Since there are so many different types and brands of blinds there aren't aftermarket brackets available. Most/all blind mounting hardware comes with the blinds or from the blind manufacturer. If you don't have the ability to come up with a solution on your own you should look carefully when choosing blinds for ones that you can mount.
Removing your molding is one option as is installing a molding at the top that blind brackets can mount to. You can also walk the aisles of your local home center to get ideas for what is available and what you can use. Maybe there is a shelf bracket you can modify or a structural Simpson bracket in the lumber department that might help.
KirbyK voted this post useful.
Old 04-12-21, 09:00 AM
Shadeladie's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: PA - USA
Posts: 4,936
Received 406 Upvotes on 333 Posts
I agree you'd have to install something above to mount the blinds to, but maybe she should reconsider and use a different treatment. If it gets installed farther out, you'll have a large gap at the sides.
Providing there's enough space at the sides, a curtain rod and curtains on rings would be a better choice and look nicer, too.
2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 04-12-21, 01:59 PM
badeyeben's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern ILLINOIS
Posts: 1,195
Received 61 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Look into wrap around design curtain rods. The ones I saw stuck 2 1/2 inches from the wall. You could mount this to the top molding and the curve would solve the edge problem. It is possible to purchase the vinyl replacement slats if that is the look you want rather than a curtain. You would just need rings for the rod to hang the slats from.
Old 04-12-21, 04:01 PM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 10,975
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
Have you considered vertical blinds instead?
johnam voted this post useful.
Old 04-13-21, 07:21 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 26
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your replies.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: