Unexpected stud

Old 01-08-13, 09:08 PM
Unexpected stud

I drilled a hole through the top of a bedroom closet to feed two coaxial cables from the hallway, through a hollow wall, into the bedroom. I drilled about 4 inches from the front of the closet, right next to a block of wood that holds the track for the closet door. If I drilled randomly, I figure there would be 1 in 32 chance of hitting a steel stud, or whatever these vertical things are that support my walls. Today I aimed my camera through a 3/4" hole in the hallway to see the inside of the closet wall and discovered the unfortunate location of my hole.

I want to run 3/4" EMT from the hallway to the closet to make feeding the cable easier, and I'd actually have to enlarge the closet hole for this. I'll have to decide whether to drill lower and to the side so I don't go through anything other than masonry and mesh, or to enlarge the current hole as planned and hope the conduit will make up for whatever strength is lost from drilling through the steel members.

I think the irregular shaped bluish hole is some kind of coating on the steel that's chipping off.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-13, 09:25 PM
I tried to get a better shot by shining light from the bedroom closet but there's too much glare. At least it shows how weak the horizontal steel piece is, with all the pre-punched holes. It's like one in another wall that I cut through, and I don't think I have to worry about enlarging the hole a little.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread