Funny...posted from Facebook

Hope it's OK to post this.

Ho
me

Animals
&
Funny

Elderly Woman Surprised The Telephone Company When She Explained Her Problem

[h=1]Elderly Woman Surprised The Telephone Company When She Explained Her Problem[/h] May 20, 2017 Animals, Funny

This helpless woman was confused with a peculiar turn of events that would happen everytime her phone rang. She decided to call the telephone company to get things sorted…read on to find out what happened next.

(Source)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-17, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
Just totally love it (ignoring the real way phones work)

Old 05-24-17, 12:18 PM
Not sure what you mean, Ray. 90 volts (AC) IS ringing voltage (generally at 20 Hz but could be a few other frequencies) on telephone lines and some party lines DO use the ground connection to ensure only the called party's telephone rings. The story IS plausible.

Old 05-24-17, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Thought the ground was only for atmospheric charges. Same two wires that carry voice carry ring. On hook the wires connect to ring. Off hook to voice.
some party lines DO use the ground connection to ensure only the called party's telephone rings
But on most party lines isn't it ring frequency?

Or have I been wrong all these years.

Old 05-24-17, 01:25 PM
You're not wrong, Ray but you are not entirely correct either. It depends on the local telephone exchange and the number of subscribers on a particular party line. Different frequencies are used but there are only a few, 20 Hz, 30 Hz and 66 Hz come to mind but there may be a few others. If there are more than 3 subscribers then they either use coded ringing (long and short rings) or they send the ringing voltage over a combination of tip, ring and ground.

So, using the standard 20 Hz signal it could be sent over tip and ring for one subscriber, tip and ground for a second subscriber and ring and ground for the third subscriber, each would get a ring ONLY for their telephone.

There were some party lines that had as many as 8 subscribers but still had individual ringing. Of course today there are very few party lines and I suspect they are almost all rural on a common line with coded ringing.

[That concludes today's trivia lesson. ]

Old 05-24-17, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
So, using the standard 20 Hz signal it could be sent over tip and ring for one subscriber, tip and ground for a second subscriber and ring and ground for the third subscriber,
I was familiar with coded rings when they ran out of frequencies but had never encountered the use of ground. Thanks for the info.

Nostalgia: Remember inquiring about cost of a party line in the early 70's and the phone rep was totally baffled. <LOL>

Old 05-25-17, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know my parents [city] and my grandparents [rural] had party lines in the early 70s. Not sure when was the last time I heard of someone being on a party line but it has been a long time.