One of my BEST Stupid Human Tricks to date!

Old 06-17-17, 12:04 PM
One of my BEST Stupid Human Tricks to date!

Just to maintain the title of "DUMBEST HUMAN EVER", today we installed a bathroom vent fan... The middle bath didn't have one, and we decided it was needed. So we bought a humidity controlled fan and went to work....

Cut the hole into the attic. Through the drywall, the second drywall, something that was on top of the second drywall, through the lath and FINALLY into the attic... Which, of course, was full of 10 or so inches of loose insulation that cascaded down onto us and the bathroom in an avalanche...

But, it gets better..... Wired the vent and tested it. Worked fine. At 50% it came on, at 60% it went off..... Pushed it into the hole.....

NOW the fun begins... Up into the attic. I do NOT like the attic. I REALLY, REALLY do NOT like the attic... I don't go into the attic unless absolutely necessary. Move large bats of fiberglass insulation so I could make my way across the attic from where the VERY small access panel is. And found the space between two joists through which I had to move myself and my tools to get to the bathroom about 850 feet away. In PLACES there were old attic floor boards to walk on. In others, NOT SO MUCH...

BUT, eventually, I GOT there. And screwed in the vent fan. And tested it to make sure it spun and wasn't hung up or anything. And attached the exhaust tubing. To make sure we don't get air infiltrating past the edges of the vent fan assembly, I shot expanding foam all the way around where the vent fan meets the ceilng. All the way around the vent fan. edges, even under where the exhaust duct attaches... Always good to have a nice seal to prevent air movement, right?

Dragged the Romex over to the box to wire it in.... Hooked up the tubing to the thing that sends it outside. Done.

Turn the power back on, back out of the attic, wife says we have a "blue" light, which means the vent fan is ready to work......

Hopped into the shower to scrub all the yuck from the attic off, and wife walks in and says, "It's not blue any more, it's yellow and flashing".......

Finished the shower, dressed and looked at the vent fan. Not turning. Climbed up on the step and the fan is ABSOLUTELY LOCKED... NO spin at all. Took the mounting screws out and pulled the fan assembly out of the case, and YES, you know where this is going... BIG, solid GLOB of expanding foam in the fan.....

It came in through that MINISCULE hole where the duct attaches to the case. Filled the duct, filled the innards, got into the vanes of the vent fan...

AND to FINISH OFF this latest testament to STUPID HUMAN TRICKS, I had to shove my HAND into the already dry, solid expanded foam... EXCEPT IT WASN'T DRY YET so I got it all over my HANDS and on my clean shirt.. MAINTAINING MY PERFECT RECORD OF NEVER EVER HAVING USED EXPANDING FOAM WHERE I DIDN'T GET IT ON ME!!!!!!!

Dumbest Human Ever. S'cuse me, I've gotta go try to scrape expanded foam off the squirrel cage fan blades...

Still OK...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-17, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
Isn't always the seems-simple ones. So did you vent it through the roof? With that kind of luck now the roof will leak.

Moved to Bloopers Forum.

Old 06-18-17, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think that you should need a contractors license in order to buy spray foam. Even at that, I have only used it one time and saw exactly how invasive it can be. I was doing a bath remodel and after tear out noticed that the back corner of the shower there was a void on an exterior wall that had no insulation in it. So, picture two 2x4's set at 90 degrees to each other to make the corner with 1/2" gap between them. It made basically the area of a 4x4 void on an exterior wall with no insulation. I figured I'd spray some foam back there and fill the void. I dispensed a couple of cans into the corner and left for the night. In the morning, there was this Godzilla type creature that was growing from the corner as the foam continued to expand. For 2 days it oozed out of that corner, I cut off the excess and more would ooze out. I began to wonder if it ever would stop. First and only time I have used spray foam - it won't happen again.

I have however, cut an awful lot of it out that others have sprayed into areas thinking they are doing something beneficial.

Old 06-18-17, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hate to see those that don't have a clue [or much of one] use spray foam. Seems like they always use too much and make a big mess not to mention using it where they shouldn't. Used correctly it's good stuff but when it's not used correctly ......

Old 06-18-17, 04:43 AM
I thought you were going to say that the fan was installed upside down, so that it sucked air in instead of blowing it out . . . . so at least that part is right !

Old 06-18-17, 05:46 AM
Fortunately I AVOIDED installing the fan upside down... AND I managed NOT to cut a hole in the roof and vented it on the side where there was an existing fitting. But I suspect I SHOULD be classified as one of those that don't have the necessary "clue" to use the stuff without making a hellacious mess! And of course, getting it on me.

And for the record, I've WORN gloves! Which just enabled me to get it all over myself ABOVE where the gloves reached! I've had it in my clothing, and even managed to get it in my beard...

Problem is it SEEMS so easy and benign! You just point the snout and give it a little squirt. And when it does it's thing and turns into a Frankenstein it's TOO LATE!

I'll be spending this morning carefully scraping crud off the squirrel cage!

OH, and the domestic associate has been IMMENSELY amused about the whole thing! I'm not getting ANY sympathy whatsoever!

Old 06-18-17, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
the domestic associate has been IMMENSELY amused
But now your Honey-Do list may get a lot shorter as anything as complicated or more complicated than boil water is removed.

Old 06-18-17, 08:42 AM
Took the guts out of the metal box this morning and headed to the garage to do a foam-ectomy! This stuff not ONLY got in through the tiny, tiny hole, it got TO the squirrel cage, INTO the squirrel cage and ALL THE WAY TO THE back OF THE SQUIRREL cage. I had foam better than halfway around the thing.

FORTUNATELY, it didn't actually stick much to the plastic squirrel cage, so once I pried everything loose I just took a plastic knife and ran it up and down the space between the vanes and the stuff came right off......

After a 30-minute visit to the garage while the soon-to-be-former spouse sat on Skype with THREE of her sisters, relating in great detail and with great hilarity, every detail of my latest SHT...

Back in, working fine.

Old 06-18-17, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Wrong time to ask but you do know there are two kinds of foam, expanding and non expanding. Which did you use?

Old 06-18-17, 09:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
two kinds of foam, expanding and non expanding
Actually it's minimally expanding foam ..... or is there non expanding I've not run across?

Old 06-21-17, 08:01 PM
OH no... I used the MAXIMUM expanding stuff.. I think the little can of Great Stuff might fill a football field given the chance!

Old 06-23-17, 05:00 AM
Our store puts Great Stuff on sale about 4 times a year. Very good price. I see people buy it by the 6 pack. I often wonder what in hell could possibly do with that much expanding foam, and what damage has been caused.

That said, I just bought the Pest and Rodent control version of Great Stuff to plug a bee hive that formed on the inside of our cabin. I see the bees (hornets) entering from the second story roof. It will be very difficult to get there and patch that section.

Old 06-23-17, 05:24 AM
I once owned a remote off-the-grid Cottage that had been constructed by a Mason using concrete blocks, and I wanted to insulate the cavities in the walls using expanding foam in a 8 or 10 gallon back pack.

The warning I got was to do it in several trips to each cavity or else the top of the foam would cure and the remaining foam inside the blocks would ultimately bust the concrete blocks from the inside out; because they're not engineered to withstand pressure from the inside.

I don't know if that was true or not seeing as I chose to heed the warning and did my insulation as suggested, visiting each cavity about 10 or 15 times . . . . took a lot longer; but nothing exploded !

That place was somewhat of a masonry show piece, with a four (4) flue chimney, a 12 foot field stone fireplace and 5' hearth; an indoor barbecue; wood cookstove; and a wood fired hot water heater . . . . only place I ever owned where you could burn through a whole cord of wood in one weekend !

Old 06-23-17, 06:02 AM
Vermont,

Any pics of the place and do you still own it?

Old 06-23-17, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Norm201
". . . Any pics of the place and do you still own it? . . ."
No, it was my vacation house from the mid-1970s and I sold it in 1990, after deciding to move here in 1987 and vacation year round.

It's only 12 or 15 miles away from where I am now; but that was too far away for me to maintain !

But I'll look around to see if I have any pre-digital era photos from when I sold it Even had a small windmill for generating DC Power. I remember the State Police telling me that they hoped no fugitive would ever get himself holed up in there because it was built like a fortress.