Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oops!


cwbuff's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,304
CT

01-31-18, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Oops!

I have an outlet in my garage that's located between the two doors. Yesterday when I pulled a plug out of the outlet the entire box pulled out. It was an old work box and one of the taps as broken off.

No big deal, I dug up another box and killed the power at the panel. The breaker was labeled "receptacles ground floor". I verified that the power was out with a light that was plugged in at my workbench receptacle. I disassembled the receptacle in the old box and replaced the box. When I went to reconnect the wiring I got a shock. The wiring was hot!

When I built the garage I provided a 20 amp circuit for the receptacles in my upstairs workshop and a separate 20 amp circuit for the receptacles in the garage bays. I forgot that I had added the receptacle between the doors a couple of years later (the old work box should have clued me in). It was more convenient to just tap into a nearby J box that fed an outside lighting circuit instead of pulling wire from the existing 20 amp receptacle circuit. The lighting circuit is fed from a different breaker.

Lesson learned - don't believe the breaker box and always check at the fixture being worked on.

 
Sponsored Links
Pilot Dane's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,341
NC

01-31-18, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)  
It's amazing how that flash of light, "pop" sound and smell of ozone & electrical smoke can jog your memory. Don't feel bad though. I have lost wire cutters to cutting wires that I thought were turned off but were still hot.

 
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,450
NC

01-31-18, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)  
It seems like every time I get a pair of lineman pliers I have to try them out and burn a hole in cutter.

 
Handyone's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 5,431
CAL

01-31-18, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Don't feel bad but always use a meter.
Your story is better than mine. When I first started working on electric I saw a wire with a black, red and neutral.

Wasn't sure what the red was for so of course I decided to touch it..... Not a real good idea

 
Norm201's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,237
NY

01-31-18, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)  
These stories just show that no matter how experienced or careful one might be , accidents can happen.
Glad no one was hurt.
Today a young kid (young to me) wanted to put a 20 amp fuse into a 15 amp circuit because it keeps blowing. He wanted my blessing! I hope I convinced him it was a bad idea. He did buy 15 amp fuses but I told him that won't solve the problem. He needs to find the cause. He said they have gone through about a dozen fuse in the past two weeks.

 
marksr's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 42,492
TN

01-31-18, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Yrs ago I was painting an old church. There was a piece of an extension cord hanging out a crack under the siding. My helper was on a ladder and asked if it would be ok if he just cut it off flush with the siding. I told him to go ahead, there was a flash/pop and his knife landed about a foot from me on the ground with a nice round chunk out of the blade. Who would have ever thought an extension cord with no end hanging out of a gable would be live


retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

 
Dixie2012's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 532
LA

01-31-18, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)  
A careless mistake I made was;

While remodeling my home after the 2016 flood, I was updating old 1970's light switches with newer paddle switches. Because I am by no means an electrician, I bet I made 500 trips back & forth to the breaker panel outside in the utility room to each switch in the house to be certain I had all current OFF ... all while using a tester/meter on each switch to ensure the power was off.

I came upon a box with two switches in it. One went to the dining room & the other went to the carport light. As usual, I went out, flipped the corresponding breaker & tested the wiring/switch & sure enough the power was off. I started removing the first switch & suddenly I touched the other switch with my screw driver.... there were sparks & I got a shock. I thought, "what the.....?"

Come to find out, I cut off the power to the dining room thinking both switches were fed from the same breaker. I mean who the heck would wire two light switches in the same box with different breakers???

Lesson learned... always check all switches & outlets ... all of them... every time.

Nobody has to tell me twice....lol

 
czizzi's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,860
VA

01-31-18, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)  
Was putting up Fiberglass Reinforced Panels (FRP) in a restaurant kitchen behind the sink where they clean off the dirty plates and behind the dishwasher. I had disconnected everything, pulled the sink and dishwasher so I could work behind it. I was covering old tile that was rather unsightly and the FRP would give it a new refreshed look. Was working about 3/4ths down the wall when I got to a section that I had difficulty with. There was a steel conduit coming out of he slab with a 90 degree elbow on it. The elbow was turned so that i was tight to the wall and I couldn't get my panel behind it. There were a couple of wires hanging out of the conduit that I thought nothing of as it was underneath a wet area, I assumed dead. I took a pair of channel locks and was going to turn the elbow 90 degrees so I could get the panel behind it. Grabbed the elbow, started to turn and POW! The blast threw me back against a prep table and down on my behind. I sat there on the floor not knowing what had happened and my vision only saw a bit white circle, like you looked at the sun for a little while. My helper came rushing and made sure I was OK. After a couple minutes I gathered myself and figured out what happened. Turns out that obviously the circuit was live and hot. It was an old line for a steam warming oven that hadn't been used in years. I told the owner in the morning that whatever breaker is blown in the panel to tape it off and mark it as danger. It was a 277volt line I sparked. Told the owner, almost came into work to find a dead body in your kitchen.

Exactly why, to this day, I will never touch anything that has to do with 240 volts or higher. Blew a fantastic hole in my channel locks and I thank god that the handles were insulated or I would have been typing this from the great computer in the sky.

 
marksr's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 42,492
TN

02-01-18, 05:30 AM   #9 (permalink)  
I learned to respect electricity as a child. I was instructed to clean up my daddy's work bench/area in the basement. I came across a replacement cord plug. My little pea brain said the best place to put it was to plug it in a receptacle - so I did. It knocked me across the room onto the furnace. I got up, replaced the fuse, washed the black off of both my hand/arm and the wall ..... and never told anyone of course I never made that mistake again!


retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

 
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 11,438
FL

02-01-18, 06:11 AM   #10 (permalink)  
Have never actually zapped myself, but I've stopped just short (no pun intended) of doing it. One of the best gifts I ever got was my little non-contact tester.


Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

 
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 41,351
NJ

02-01-18, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)  
This is the perfect use for a non contact tester..... to let you know there is dangerous voltage in the area.


~ Pete ~

 
Search this Thread