Central Heating Boiler Will Not Fire

Old 05-05-00, 12:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi all,

I have a conventional (not combi) boiler that heats our hot water and provides central heating via conventional hot water radiators.

I recently drained the system in order to fix a leak. I refilled and bled all radiators, however the boiler will not fire up although the thermostats are set at a level that should cause it to. The pilot light is on and the pump seems to be operating.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?
Is there any safety mechanisms within the boiler (that were triggered when the system was emptied) that may be preventing the boiler from firing?

Regards

Rod Wilson

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-00, 08:23 PM
Visiting Guest
ron, i dont know how old the system is, but sounds like the low water cut off might of tripped...

Old 01-13-06, 12:48 PM
Hi Rod,

how did you sort out your boiler? It sounds like I have a similar problem

Old 01-13-06, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Circuits60

How about some details on your problem. We can probably help if we know a bit more.

Old 01-16-06, 02:12 AM
I think I have the same problem

I have also drained my central heating system and am now without hot water. The pump and motorised valve are both working (the pump is, in fact starting to get too hot to touch) and I can hear water flowing through the pipes in my airing cupboard.

The boiler does occationally fire up, but it seems that it only does this for long enoughto heat the pipe through the boiler, almost as though it is not getting any of the water flowing through the pipes.

All of the radiators are bled and the header tank is full but there still seems to be a problem.

Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

Old 01-16-06, 06:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Boiler full?

If the boiler feed comes into the top of the boiler or into the piping on the discharge side of the boiler, it is possible the boiler is not full. Try opening the relief valve to puge air. Are you sure all valves are open?