oil heater/boiler

Old 02-01-04, 02:29 AM
Tom
Visiting Guest
oil heater/boiler

Today I had my oil heater/boiler serviced. Once the unit was cleaned they did an efficiency test on the heater. The test result was 70%. The serviceman told me to start planning for a new heater. My first question is should I consider another oil heater or convert to gas. Second at 70% how much longer will my heater last?

Old 02-01-04, 05:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it doesn't leak water, it will last forever. Maybe you could consider replacing the burner if you aren't ready to replace the boiler. Most of the efficiency of a boiler comes from the burner. If you give me the efficiency test results I can tell you better. If he couldn't get a zero smoke, that is burner related. If the stack temp was high, that is boiler related or possibly firing rate related. What is the make and model of boiler. That may be a good place to start this conversation. Most importantly, don't panic and buy something in haste. I would stay with oil but I'm an oilman.

Old 02-01-04, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Go over to www.warmair.net and compare fuel cost there for where you live for the gas and oil.

Hey like KField said if it dont leak stay with it. A good tech here should have been able to do better on the burner. Or said what is wrong with it that he cant read higher on the stack read out .ED

Old 02-01-04, 08:27 PM
Tom
Visiting Guest
the stack temp 550
draft overfire -.05
draft at breach -.10
Co2 7
thanks for the info

Old 02-02-04, 04:36 AM
A draft drop of .05 through a clean boiler means that you have a decent boiler. A poorly designed boiler would only show a drop of .02 or less. The burner efficiency is the problem. There is way too much air on that fire. You didn't post the results of a smoke test but the only way to get a valid adjustment would be to raise the CO2 and then xheck the smoke again. And repeat that until there is a trace of smoke and then back up just a hair. What name is on the burner (not the boiler)? You may be able to increase the efficiency with only a new burner which is much less expensive than a whole boiler.

Old 02-20-04, 05:39 PM
Tom
Visiting Guest
Sorry for the long delay. The Boiler is a BlueRay III model # VTF560 and the Burner is a Beckett.

Old 02-21-04, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think Id look for a new tech here you should be able to get from 80 %to 85% on your oil burner there. Im with Ken most people set the burner to burn to clean. ED

Old 02-22-04, 05:09 AM
I'm sure the CO2 of the Beckett burner could be raised over the 7% if that reading is due to por combustion. Another reason for low CO2 and stack temp is dilution. If there is someplace for air to be drawn into the boiler, it will reduce CO2 and stack temp. Like a poor fitting flue box or cleanout cover. I have only worked on a couple of Bluerays and both were modified from their original design due to high carbon monoxide problems with their original Carlin burner and a special air tube they used. Within a year or two after they came out, they were all recalled and had to be field modified with the Beckett burner. I would also think it would be good to plan for a new unit that would be of a more standard design. Explore the options of a unit with an indirect water heater and you will get much better domestic hot water too.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: