Radiators: Half Hot Half Cold?

Old 02-06-04, 08:24 AM
vandyeng
Visiting Guest
Radiators: Half Hot Half Cold?

I have steam heating in my house. I was told that once a year you should let out any air that might accumulate in the radiators. Just recently, I have noticed that after I have let the air out of the system, a day or two later, half of the radiator is warm while the other half is cool. This only happens to the radiators on my upper floors. Why do you get air in the system, and why am is only half of the radiator warm?

Old 02-06-04, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question boiler

You dont say anything about adding water here.Does the boiler have a low water cut-off and water feeder on it ???? ED

Old 02-06-04, 02:20 PM
IF you have a steam system there is no need to EVER let air out of it. It has steam vents somewhere that automatically do that for you. If you have a HOT WATER system, you can periodically check for air in the raduators by opening the vents at the top until you get water out. Then you know the system is full. The first thing you need to identify is what system you have. As Ed pointed out, if it is a steam system, you will have a gauge glass water tube on the boiler and probably a black control somewhere that says McDonnell Miller on it. They are the most popular maker of steam system water level controls. Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

Ken

Old 02-08-04, 08:00 AM
vandyeng
Visiting Guest
Thanks for replying so quickly.

I stand corrected, apparently I have a Hot Water System. It is used to not only heat up my radiators but provide hot water for the household.

After I let the air out, the radiators were fully warm. Then after a day or two, only half of the radiators was warm on all my radiators on the upper floor of the house.

Old 02-08-04, 11:33 AM
boiler

Do you get water out of the top bleeders? The ones on the top floor. You have to get water out of them up there so you know all the air is out. The boiler does have a auto water fill on it and it is on ????????? ED

Old 02-10-04, 07:33 AM
vandyeng
Visiting Guest
ED Thanks again for your replys

It turns out that the water fill valve was turned off. When I attempted to take the air out of the system, there was no water to refill the radiators untill I turned the valve on.

Again, thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: