Banging noise in Utica Boiler

Old 02-10-04, 03:17 PM
BillT
Visiting Guest
Banging noise in Utica Boiler

I have a 13 year old Utica Boiler with 4 zones. Fuel is LP. When the burners light there is a banging noise coming from the jacket. Noise subsides when the burners turn off. No air problems in the zones. Expansion tank is new within the past year and is at 12 psi. At full temp, which is 175, pressure is at 15-20 psi. I've changed the pressure via the auto fill ranging from 10 - 30 lbs. Noise is worse at the higher pressures. It has been suggested that air is trapped in the jacket and the outlet end of the boiler needs to be shimmed. Another idea is a lime buildup, however, we do not have a mineral problem with our water supply. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-04, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You say its when the burners turn on and stops when they turn off. Lp gas.When where the burners cleaned and looked at last ?How is the regulator has the W/C or psi been check on it of late Its not down in the snow is it. When it does this can you see any flame down in the burner tubes ? ED

Old 02-10-04, 03:53 PM
It sounds like a hot spot in thew boiler. If that's what it is, it can be tough to get rid of. One solution would be to add some boiler water treatment. I use a product called 8 way. It removes all traces of oxygen from the water and could help to eliminate the problem. Make sure that you have an air vent on the top of the boiler. If there is a 3/4" tapping on the top it is most likely meant for an air vent. Some installers put the relief valve there and do not put a tee for the vent. I would strongly suggest getting an automatic air vent installed there. Make sure the fireside of the boiler is clean and has no scale on it. Also, It would be advantageous to have a bypass loop on the piping so that water is circulating through the boiler at all times. If nothing else works, you may have to drain the boiler and get a hose inside to clean any sediment that is blocking the heat transfer.

Ken

Old 02-14-04, 09:32 AM
air

like Kfield said, lots of boilers have a baffle plate on the top of the boiler that is supposed to have an auto air vent but don't and have air trapped on the top of the boiler. Is this bang like waterhammer? Is it a one time thing when it starts, or a continual banging?

Old 10-11-04, 02:31 PM
reframmellator
Visiting Guest
Don't Rule Out Cold Return Water

I chased a similar problem in a Lochinvar boiler for five years after it was installed. I was always able to find some air in the lines, even with an air scoop, but I could never make the problem go away. In frustration, I consulted the installation instructions, which the contractor apparently neglected to do. Deep in the text, Lochinvar notes that a banging noise on startup "may" occur. They attribute this to cold return water entering the warm boiler heating area and causing the same kind of expansion and contraction noises that you may hear from your baseboard or radiator, but on a much larger (and louder) scale. Their fix was pretty simple and 100% effective: install a jumper line with a gate valve from the boiler chamber outlet to the upstream (inlet) side of the circulator pump (in most cases, the circulator pump pushes return water through the boiler). When the furnace starts up, adjust the gate valve to the minimum flow needed to stop the banging. Adjust and confirm through several start/stop cycles and you should be all set. Heat is heat, and the boiler may cycle on and off a few more times per day, but it won't increase your bill.

I find it interesting that my neighbor had the same boiler installed in the same home style by the same contractor, also without the jumper line, and he never had any banging.

Old 12-09-05, 06:35 AM
ap17
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by KField
It sounds like a hot spot in thew boiler. If that's what it is, it can be tough to get rid of. One solution would be to add some boiler water treatment. I use a product called 8 way. It removes all traces of oxygen from the water and could help to eliminate the problem. Make sure that you have an air vent on the top of the boiler. If there is a 3/4" tapping on the top it is most likely meant for an air vent. Some installers put the relief valve there and do not put a tee for the vent. I would strongly suggest getting an automatic air vent installed there. Make sure the fireside of the boiler is clean and has no scale on it. Also, It would be advantageous to have a bypass loop on the piping so that water is circulating through the boiler at all times. If nothing else works, you may have to drain the boiler and get a hose inside to clean any sediment that is blocking the heat transfer.

Ken
Ken,

I'm having a pounding noise from my boiler only while the flame is on. There is a 1/2 short pipe(capped) coming out of the top of the boiler. Water from the drain valve is generally clean and I live in a soft water area, Chicago.

If I replace this pipe with an air vent, while I get a rush of water when I remove the pipe?

How can I stop the pounding? I replaced the old steel expansion tank with a new diaphram type of the proper size for the system.

thanks

ap

Old 12-19-05, 06:35 AM
ap17
Visiting Guest
Problem Solved,

I forwarded this thread to my uncle who plays with boilers for a pastime because he's not a member here.

When he saw that the first post said 175 degree water temp. he told me thats way too hot and lower the temp. setting. I did see here that cold water hitting super heated water is going to make noise, and did it ever.

That was not my reply, but he did tell me to check the water temp. I did and the temp was set to 180 degrees.

A simple adjustment of the high level temp control down to 145 solved my problem completely. No more water noise and most of all no more banging from the boiler. For 3 years I put up with all that noise needlessly and one HW pipe is against the CA trunk duct so the pounding resonated throughout the house.

One simple adjustment.

ap