Indirect water heater & outside reset

Old 02-12-04, 07:01 PM
Indiana mark
Visiting Guest
Question Indirect water heater & outside reset

First post & hoping you can help...
I am going to install a Amtrol BoilerMate Classic with Smart control
on to a Peerless boiler with a honeywell L8148E aquastat control, that is the easy part. Now I want to install a honeywell AQ475A1004 outside reset. This reset has a DHW priority.

What I am seeking to do is install the Indirect fired water heater to the boiler and NOT loose the post purge feature, that is where a lot of the savings is at. If I do a direct hook-up to the outside reset, the honeywell AQ475 runs the entire show and the post purge is lost.

This will NOT be running on it's own zone valve just a circulator otherwise the post purge is also lost.

Now I'm thinking of running it to the high limit control on the L8148E and bypassing the outside reset, but will it coflict in any way with the ouside reset other than the fact that I am taking it out of priority?

Hope a few of you have ran into this before and have some advice for me.

If this hook up sounds correct, I know my quick recovery is the only thing I'm going to loose...

Thanks for any help in my fuels savings quest.

Old 02-13-04, 09:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like working around the outdoor reset is the best option and you probably won't notice the difference. You would probably want to tie into the 8148 in a location that will use the high limit and not energize the main circulator. It shouldn't be too tough to pick a tie point for that.

The only thing I can say about Amtrols indirect is that I have had major problems with the boiler mate. Control failures and tank leakage has struck over 80% of what I have installed in the last 5 years. My wholesaler does not even carry them anymore because of the mountain of defective ones sitting behind the building. I am only using mega-stor currently and have had very few problems with them. As a point of interest, the same has held true for Amtrols expansion tanks. The #30 Extrol has been a pain in the neck for the past few years and I have changed to Watts tanks to prevent any more warranty labor loss.

Ken

Old 02-13-04, 03:57 PM
Indiana mark
Visiting Guest
KField,
Thanks for the reply. That is what I will do. I was looking at the wiring diagram on the 8148 and I can pull my 24v off of the Z term and run back to the high limit. I had know idea Amtrol was having problems, I have been using there products with no problems so far. I use there well tank for my well and expansion tanks also, I've always had good luck. Plus, I could not beat the price $650. I will look into other indirect fired water heaters, but I do like the post purge savings. I will have to look into some controls to see if I can make up a heat anticipator some how, but I don' think I can because I would have to get into the heater and install a well into it somehow. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth...

Thanks again, great forum you got here, very helpful.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: