Radiator air lock dilemma

Old 02-16-04, 08:35 PM
AndrewKlear
Visiting Guest
Radiator air lock dilemma

We have developed an air lock in the first unit of our hot water radiator system. This happened in our rental unit before, and the problem was solved easily. On this particular unit, the bleeder screw is stripped. I have tried all means I could come up with to get it out. My next step was to drill it out (system is off and cold, as is my home in 30 degree temps), re thread the hole and install a new hex head screw. Please help, before I do something out of need, or something I'll regret.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-04, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what is stripped. Usually the air vent screws into a 1/8" pipe tapping on the radiator. If the head of the vent strips, you can remove the entire vent and replace it. Is there something different on yours? Are you sure you are working on the right vent? On old radiators, they would put a plug in both ends that just had a slot for a flat screwdriver. That was in case you didn't need the tapping for anything. If you need it, when you installed the radiator, you took out that plug and installed a key vent. After many years, the slotted plug will not want to be removed. Clarify this for us if you can and put the drill on hold for one more day.

Ken

Old 02-17-04, 02:01 PM
radiator?

is this in fact an old steam style radiator or what? If you need a vent in a hot water circulator type system... you'll never get that thing hot....you'll foul up the whole ball of wax! If it has a coin vent in it, replace the coin vent. If you enlargen the hole to, let's say 1/4".... then install a 1/4 X 1/8 " bushing and then, install the coin vent.

Old 02-17-04, 03:41 PM
AndrewKlear
Visiting Guest
This is a hot water system, with a fairly new Utica MGB boiler. On the top end of the radiator in question, on the end opposite the in and out flow pipes, there is one slotted screw. the slot has been previously marred to the point a flat screwdriver can't get it out. This seems to be the only way to remove air from this unit, there are no other vent systems or holes, etc. I believe some would call this a " School Style" radiator. The house was built in 1928, the units are probably near that age as well?

Last edited by AndrewKlear; 02-17-04 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-17-04, 05:19 PM
AndrewKlear
Visiting Guest
Problem solved with creative and precision drilling, no re tap necessary.

Old 02-17-04, 05:58 PM
Good work and thanks for letting us know how you made out. For your info, that was not an air vent. But I hope after you got that plug out that you put in a real air vent.

Ken