oil burning furnace blowout

Old 02-22-04, 01:40 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question oil burning furnace blowout

here's the story.........we let the oil runout(again)and got the tank re-filled.usually when this happens,i just press the red button on the side of the motor and it starts up and stays on.However,this time,it will fire up and only stay on for 5 min or less then trip the reset on the motor.we pulled the motor apart and cleaned the vents and the shaft that spins the pump(i think)we pulled the whole unit right out of the chamber and looked at the nozzle.It was clean but the electrodes were black.i cleaned them up and put the unit back in.The transformer was working as it should when i metered it and i even cleaned up the contacts.We fired it up again and it ran without any problems for about 6 hours AND WENT OUT.now it is back to the way it was,5min or less.
i can't figure this damn thing out.On start up,it will fire and u can see the flame in the chamber,then there will be a strange sound that seems to be coming from the pump.when that noise happens,the flame goes out .then it will fire again and a puff of smoke will come out of the vent.i figured that meant the sprk was not consistent and the oil was still being pumped in,then when it sparks,it smokes out like that.It is kinda like a clicking in the pump area but i dont know for sure.
any ideas on what the problem could be?
there is nobody where i live that has the knowhow to fix this problem and it is gettin damn cold up here

i was thinking that it could be:
1)sludge in the lines
2)faulty oil pump
3)water in the oil tank??

ps......i also bled the lines of any air and the fuel appeared to be clean
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-04, 01:57 AM
Oil Furnace

It could be any one those 3 or it could be that the filter on the oil pump is blocking up. The nozzle may look clean but for the little cost of a new one I'd throw a nozzle at it too.
Water in the pump may be rusting the pump up too and causing it to seize too.
I had one a couple years ago which had got water into it and it gave similar problems. It was a brand new burner too got a new pump under warranty.
It never pays to suck off the bottom of the tank.

Old 02-22-04, 02:01 AM
S
no sh*t huh.....i here ya .so there is a filter in the oil pump as well?how do i get at it?
what about the nozzle?is it easy to replace?
also i noticed some sort of lens that looks like a photocell mounted under the tx pointing into the chamber.does that kick off the motor if it does not see a flame?
thanks for the quick response

Old 02-22-04, 09:54 AM
Pump there Lets say no filter BUT a screen in there . Id get a rebuilt pump there if you can or think thats it.

You didnt say anything about a oil filter on the tank. You did put a new filter in it didnt you?

Get new nozzle for sure. You should have anyway get the same as is in there now per Gph and nozzle spray angle will say on the side of the nozzle.

Keep that eye clean Yes it is what will turn the burner off if it dont see a flame.

Put new nozzle in and try first. Clean and set the electrodes.

ED

Old 02-22-04, 10:53 AM
S
how do mi access the screen in the pump?
i just cleaned the electrodes before and after that it seemed to make a difference so it must be a buildup of sludge.if i pull out the nozzle can i just put it back in like it was before?u said somethimng about the angle

btw,i have not changed the filter on the tank yet or the screen in
thye pump

the strange sound comuing fr4om the pump just before the flame goes out,what do u think this could be?
how do i match a pump for this furnace?it is about 50 years old and the name on the pump is inglis.....i dont think they make them anymore

i am begginning to think this is a job for a pro not a sparky

Old 02-22-04, 11:53 AM
First you have to change the oil filter "first for sure". Also see that the shut off there does not get blocked by yuck from in the tank.

Then a new nozzle here for sure. the nozzle comes with a spray angle it will say on the nozzle. the gph like .85 or 1.00 then the spray angle like 80o or 90o

For right now Id say pump noise is, it cant get oil from the tank or filter . Dont go into it yet.

There are parts for just about all the oil burners old or new

ED

Old 02-22-04, 03:56 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Remember the K.I.S.S, principle!!

The fuel filter is plugged with all the crud because it was down to the bottom and the bottom followed. The basics...The fuel basket is in the old style pumps like the Suntec.It has 4 screws holding it on the side... Not all have this OR it was removed years ago and never replaced....It happens.,...Webster I believe has the spinning triangular razor that chops up the crud that gets by the filter. The third filter is a bronze one at the fuel nozzle. Replace the nozzle too....always. Don't forget to prime the pump. The bleeder looks like a brake bleeder sometimes, Sometimes it just a bolt.

Old 02-22-04, 06:52 PM
If the sound the pump makes is a whine, it is having trouble getting oil. You did say you bled it but if you let the bleeder open for 30 seconds, does the oil stream stay clear or does it get foamy or disappear? The filter at the tank would be the first thing to change. As for the pump, I am not familiar with that brand so I can't say if it even has a strainer. Webster made pumps with no strainer in them so yours may or may not have one. It might be best to get a tech in there and check the whole thing over. And don't let it run out again. It causes a world of trouble and is unnecessary.