under floor heating

Old 02-27-04, 01:12 PM
sparky in NJ
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb under floor heating

I am thinking about installing flexable tubing into our kitchen floor witch is concrete, by cutting groves into the concrete. patching the floor, then installing ceramic tile on top. I don't know if this is doable or not. we have a cold kitchen because it is built on slab, making the floor always cold in the winter. We currently have some hot water baseboard installed but this only helps a little. So I am thimking of this before we remodle the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-04, 01:45 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
your best bet is to talk to someone in the HVAC forum

Old 02-27-04, 02:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Mark

I moved your question into the topic since it pertains to hot water baseboard heating. In this forum the heating professionals will be able to provide you with the hekpful advice needed.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor
Sharp Advice

Old 02-27-04, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sparky,

The ideal that you tought of doing is not going to work.. I think it's going to be more work than you want to put into. If you did what you thought of doing, you are almost better of just repour the whole floor.

You can get an electric radiiant heater that you can lay in the thin-set when you lay tile. You can then zoon that room alone with the t-stat.

Old 02-27-04, 05:13 PM
Some times they have taken and put a insulation board down along the slab out side It helps some. You dont say what you have for heat here You can go th www.warnair.net and compare fuel cost. like jay said you might want to look at in the floor electric heat Go www.warmlyyours.com this can go under the tile there it works good ED

Old 02-28-04, 12:56 PM
sparky in NJ
Visiting Guest
underfloor heat

Thank you for your input. What is the average life of the radiant heat, do I have to worry about it breaking down in a few years. Also how much would it raise the floor?

Old 02-28-04, 03:41 PM
It should last a long time as long you put it in right. There is no moving parts in the netting that you lay into the thin-set.

The product I am talking aboit is not going to make it any thicker than if you just tile the floor itself.

http://www.suntouch.net/

These are sold at most Home Depot stores.