Leaky Rad

Old 03-03-04, 11:46 AM
Ivan
Visiting Guest
Leaky Rad

Hi, I have a one-pipe steam heating system in my house, and I have a rad that occasionally leaks a bit of water. It appears that the water leaks from the joint between two rad sections, right at the bottom.

Until now, the little bit of water hasn't been a big problem, but now I'm refinishing this room, and I don't want the new flooring damaged.

I've heard rad leaks can be repaired with JB Weld, but it seems difficult to do so in a case like this, where the leak is right on a joint. I can't seem to pinpoint exactly where the leak is. Any comments?

Is it recommended to try to tighten the long bolts that run through the length of the rad? Could doing so help to seal things up between the rad sections? If so, is there a recommended torque for these bolts?

I've also heard that there are products that can be inserted into the boiler water that will seal leaks anywhere in the system. Are such products safe to use? Can anyone recommend one?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-04, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do not use any kind of boiler stop leak. The additive is only good for the boiler in a steam system but I would not recommend it anywhere. The JB weld is probably a good choice. It doesn't have to hold pressure like a hot water system. I also would not recommend tightening the through rods. It probably isn't leaking because of loosening. More likely it is corrosion or a small flaw in the nipple between the sections.

Ken

Old 03-03-04, 09:43 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You could probably spot the leak better by spraying some soapy water onto the radiator and look for the bubbles.

Old 03-05-04, 05:29 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
radiators

Metal scrap yards have these by the ton. You'll have to match yours though, height, width # of ribs, thickness...and then you need to pressure test it. If you want to keep yours,... pull it and have a welding shop that does cast iron do it, I think it's MIG or TIG or something, but insist they pressure test it to about 30PSI, you'll use only 1.5 PSI though. The other option is to buy a new one!