Leaky Rad


Old 03-03-04, 11:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Leaky Rad

Hi, I have a one-pipe steam heating system in my house, and I have a rad that occasionally leaks a bit of water. It appears that the water leaks from the joint between two rad sections, right at the bottom.

Until now, the little bit of water hasn't been a big problem, but now I'm refinishing this room, and I don't want the new flooring damaged.

I've heard rad leaks can be repaired with JB Weld, but it seems difficult to do so in a case like this, where the leak is right on a joint. I can't seem to pinpoint exactly where the leak is. Any comments?

Is it recommended to try to tighten the long bolts that run through the length of the rad? Could doing so help to seal things up between the rad sections? If so, is there a recommended torque for these bolts?

I've also heard that there are products that can be inserted into the boiler water that will seal leaks anywhere in the system. Are such products safe to use? Can anyone recommend one?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-04, 04:29 PM
KField's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 3,245
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do not use any kind of boiler stop leak. The additive is only good for the boiler in a steam system but I would not recommend it anywhere. The JB weld is probably a good choice. It doesn't have to hold pressure like a hot water system. I also would not recommend tightening the through rods. It probably isn't leaking because of loosening. More likely it is corrosion or a small flaw in the nipple between the sections.

Old 03-03-04, 09:43 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
You could probably spot the leak better by spraying some soapy water onto the radiator and look for the bubbles.
Old 03-05-04, 05:29 PM
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,824
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Metal scrap yards have these by the ton. You'll have to match yours though, height, width # of ribs, thickness...and then you need to pressure test it. If you want to keep yours,... pull it and have a welding shop that does cast iron do it, I think it's MIG or TIG or something, but insist they pressure test it to about 30PSI, you'll use only 1.5 PSI though. The other option is to buy a new one!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: